. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hey guys/girls looking some help trying to find plans for a smallish cnc for cutting wood only say about 2'x1' something about that size any help at all would be great

Quote Originally Posted by feetsy View Post
    hey guys/girls looking some help trying to find plans for a smallish cnc for cutting wood only say about 2'x1' something about that size any help at all would be great
    You'll struggle to find plans that are any good.!! . . But you don't need any.? You have everything you need right here on the forum it just takes a little research and reading.

Start by looking at other build threads to get an idea of the machine you would like to build. Then start a build thread. Put pen to paper and offer your design idea for others to check over.
    Ask any questions your unsure about, no matter how stupid they may feel someone will have asked before so don't worry about asking. Or do a search and find the answer given to others.!

Don't be in a rush or buy anything until your sure it's correct for the machine.
    Be honest with your self regards your own skills and abilty's. No point starting if you haven't got the tools or know how to use them.

Don't waste time building with inferior materials like MDF etc as it's fasle economy and mostly leads to poor machine that will frustrate the hell out of you.
    Also don't try building with cheap linear components like Skate bearings and threaded rod etc.! Again just frustrates and often leads to failure and premature hair loss.!
    For a proper Machine there is really no substitue for correct materials or components. Unfortunatly these do initially cost more but you'll save money in the long run because you won't have to rebuild the machine after you realise you dropped a bollock buying crap.!!. . . Plus it will be built and working correctly much sooner.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Jazz said it all really.

I would however suggest that buying a cheap Chinese 6040 with the watercooled spindle would be preferable to building from scratch. Will get you up and running and you can always improve it as you go along.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

so decided im going to go with extruded aluminium frame. This is a mates machine he built but he works all the time and lives a good bit away. He is willing to help me make parts and stuff so just need to read a bit more on motors and stuff the goint to built a machine 1meter by half meter wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC-router.gif 
Views:	690 
Size:	367.3 KB 
ID:	15202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psu-case-description.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	15203  

so decided im going to go with extruded aluminium frame. This is a mates machine he built but he works all the time and lives a good bit away. He is willing to help me make parts and stuff so just need to read a bit more on motors and stuff the goint to built a machine 1meter by half meter wide.
    Don't believe a word the lieing Welsh scally tells you I built that for Ian many moons ago out of my scrap bits.!! . . . . And tell him it's been too bloody long since since we spoke. .. Lol

PM me your email address and i'll show you a much updated version that will make Ian drool.!!.. . . Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-04-2015 at 03:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

ian isn't welsh jazzcnc hes from bangor northern Ireland but he did go to England to have it machined to level it or make it flat or sopmthing like that lol email address is sent in pm
    Last edited by feetsy; 27-04-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I would take your email address down as you are open to the spammers or put some spaces and (dot) or (and) Clive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

ian isn't welsh jazzcnc hes from bangor northern Ireland but he did go to England to have it machined to level it or make it flat or sopmthing like that lol email address is sent in pm
    Ask him and I think you'll find he is from Welsh stock. He came to England to visit family and Pick the machine up from me. I built all of it lock stock n barrel in Sunny Yorkshire, England.!!. . . . Ian built the control box and did the wiring.

ian bell you call him

ian bell you call him
    Yes Ian Bell trust me Buddy I built that machine all of it. . . . . Check this out.!!! (HemsworthLad is me.!!)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...ee-beasty.html

I even have the offcut from the Gantry extrusion still kicking around.!

The X & Y are belt driven with long axis belts being under the bed with 2 belts running down each side with pulleys on bars at each end. There's a single motor connecting to one of the rods thru a reduction system with I think 6:1 ratio.
    I orginally built it with a 3:1 reduction but it was too fast so decided to increase resolution, as you'll see if you look at the aluminium pulley on the Y axis and compare with pics on cnczone which is steel.! . . The little Bugger still goes like the clappers.
    This was the last belt drive machine I built. Now all machines use ballscrews from china as there's very little price difference.

With just one belt so going slow.!!

Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information