. .

Thread: Gantry Router

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All, I am building a gantry style router, and was wondering if anyone has come up with a fail safe system should the gantry begin to crab... if for example one of the motors or stepper units failed
    Thanks for any input......stevep

If the gantry starts to rack, Leadshine modern stepper drives/AM822, etc../ sense it, stop and emit alarm signal to breakout board so all stops.

Other solution is to clock the 2 ball screws using belt and only one motor.

In reality if you make a precise and sturdy machine with not very wide gantry, one side motor could stop and all continue to move without any problem cause instead of racking the other screw turns by itself. See my first build link below in signature.

So what is your exact problem that needs solving?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Hi Silyavski, I have already built my machine, and have been wondering how to safe guard the failure of one side of the gantry to move, on my machine they are lead screws with stepper motor and drivers on each side of the gantry axis,
    so the problem is how to save damaging the machine if one of the stepper motors, stepper units or even a slipping feed nut coupling etc failed
    Stevep

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Hi Silyavski, I have already built my machine, and have been wondering how to safe guard the failure of one side of the gantry to move, on my machine they are lead screws with stepper motor and drivers on each side of the gantry axis,
    so the problem is how to save damaging the machine if one of the stepper motors, stepper units or even a slipping feed nut coupling etc failed
    Stevep
    As have been stated modern digital drives have an alarm output which is then connected to the BOB or motion controller etc and that will then disable all drives and thus the motors. ..Clive

i would rather change the 2 drives to Leadshine AM882.

Otherwise you will have to stay and watch the machine at all times. Ok, sorry, i am joking.

the only other method that i am aware of is using steel cord and some pulleys

here is the original solution https://cockrum.net/cnc.html

Thread Information