. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys,

I am having a tricky time as to what CAD CAM software to go for. What I wish to do is this, draw 3D parts in AutoCAD and then use the DWG in the CAM software. I can get BobCAD v24 for about £150 is there anything better for the that kind of money or anything to consider? I am only going to use the software every now and then.

I did think about CamBam but I guessed there may be better support for learning BobCAD v24

Many thanks

Suesi
    Last edited by suesi34e; 11-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.

I only have experience of V25 but if you ask about V24 there are some experienced users on the CNCZone BobCad forum who will usually respond usefully to such a query, if you go with V24 and there is a Training Professor DVD set available for your version it's well worth getting hold of this and working through it.

Version specific advice is important as I understand there have been serious step-changes in functionality between versions, I've seen comments about 3D functionality being poor which must refer to pre-V25 versions as V25 and above have good 3D CAD and CAM, provided you use the training material and learn how to use the system,
    Regards,
    Nick

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musht For This Useful Post:

Steve I've got the training DVD's for V24.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Hi Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to put down your thoughts here for me.

All the best

Suesi

Hi Musht,

I have had a quick look at Meshcam but to be honest I do not have the knowledge to make a decision, not the right one anyhow! I will read up a bit on it though and look on YouTube for some videos.

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi Jazz,

That is great mate. Perhaps we can have a chat about software when we next speak. But for now the training DVD's sound good I need all the training I can get!

Many thanks

Suesi

Meshcam is really a CAM program in that it dosen`t have any drawing facilities internally, need to upgrade to Meshcam Art for some CAD functionallity integrated.

Thats pretty universal amongst this type of software, pay more cash get a higher level of integration at the very top end get things like Aspire that integrate everything for people who`s time is money.

If can tolerate doing some things in one program and others in another can save a lot of cash and produce identical end results.

That said , for a beginner like me anyway, have an OK workflow using Sketchup for CAD and exporting a .STL to Meshcam which makes the machining decisions for me pretty much ;-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Musht For This Useful Post:

Hi Musht,

Thank you for your msg. I appreciate you pointing out a bit more about Meshcam but I would not be drawing much in a CAM package even if it has a CAD part. I would sooner draw in AutoCAD or similar and export a DWG or DXF.
    Meshcam looks good but I am thinking BobCAD V24 could be easier to learn. I know I am going to regret saying that!
    Many thanks for your help here
    Suesi

Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    Hi Musht,

Thank you for your msg. I appreciate you pointing out a bit more about Meshcam but I would not be drawing much in a CAM package even if it has a CAD part. I would sooner draw in AutoCAD or similar and export a DWG or DXF.
    Meshcam looks good but I am thinking BobCAD V24 could be easier to learn. I know I am going to regret saying that!
    Many thanks for your help here
    Suesi
    Last edited by suesi34e; 19-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information