Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. #51
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    I spotted that last Interact. If you can mod it to run off single phase, it is a steal..
    This one?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgeport...c=1&rmvSB=true

  2. #52
    yes that is the one
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

  3. #53
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    What is this worth?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denford-Tr...item3aa95b6db3

    This might give me a starting point at least. Id be willing to spend a bit more for 'better' but short of someone building me a custom machine (hint hint Jazz), not a lot of options ready to go. Im loathed to spend as much as 5 - 8K on a Syil or similar unless its felt that its worth it .... dont believe it is from advise thus far.

  4. #54
    I have a little Denford and it's excellent for what I want to do. A Triac would be nice as it's bigger, about the size of my VMB, but I don't have room for it. Unless you are very particular I'd have thought a Triac would be a good buy. When I got my Novamill I was thinking of converting an X1 or buying a KX1, but the Denford knocks those small machines into a cocked hat, it's just in a different league. A Bridgeport is great, but takes up lots of room, and is very very heavy! I would guess that with a Triac you would get the same accuracy as a Bridgy but won't be able to shave off metal as the same rate.

    As for what it's worth, things are worth what people will pay. This particular one is not in an auction but you could try making an offer. I think eBay gives you a facility to see previous deals on similar items, so you could see what's been paid in the past? The price looks a bit high to me but I've seen some high prices for Denfords on eBay.
    Last edited by JohnHaine; 01-06-2015 at 10:28 PM.

  5. #55
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    I have a little Denford and it's excellent for what I want to do. A Triac would be nice as it's bigger, about the size of my VMB, but I don't have room for it. Unless you are very particular I'd have thought a Triac would be a good buy. When I got my Novamill I was thinking of converting an X1 or buying a KX1, but the Denford knocks those small machines into a cocked hat, it's just in a different league. A Bridgeport is great, but takes up lots of room, and is very very heavy! I would guess that with a Triac you would get the same accuracy as a Bridgy but won't be able to shave off metal as the same rate.

    As for what it's worth, things are worth what people will pay. This particular one is not in an auction but you could try making an offer. I think eBay gives you a facility to see previous deals on similar items, so you could see what's been paid in the past? The price looks a bit high to me but I've seen some high prices for Denfords on eBay.
    So I found a Denford Traic PC, dont know much about the control system. What will the cost be to convert to Mach3? How much of the electronics is reusable?

  6. #56
    Jess's Avatar
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    So I found a Denford Traic PC, dont know much about the control system. What will the cost be to convert to Mach3? How much of the electronics is reusable?
    I think quite a bit technically is. Denford have been pretty good at providing documentation and so forth. So, in principle, you can probably wire a breakout board to those drives, if they're working.

    However, the electronics are often pretty old and basic. Most of the conversions I've seen seem to replace everything, except perhaps the motors and maybe the transformer.

    Personally, I'd budget for replacing all of the electronics.

  7. #57
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I think quite a bit technically is. Denford have been pretty good at providing documentation and so forth. So, in principle, you can probably wire a breakout board to those drives, if they're working.

    However, the electronics are often pretty old and basic. Most of the conversions I've seen seem to replace everything, except perhaps the motors and maybe the transformer.

    Personally, I'd budget for replacing all of the electronics.
    Thanks, including motors?

  8. #58
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Wondering if this is the same mill?

    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1605-Denford-Triac-Mill

    Seems a lot might be reusable. So budget for a cheap retrofit? Budget for going servo versus stepper? Info welcome, many thanks.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    So I found a Denford Traic PC, dont know much about the control system. What will the cost be to convert to Mach3? How much of the electronics is reusable?
    Depends on how old and what's inside.? Often if converting your better just replacing control and the drives with modern stuff. You'll have a far better performing machine.

    The AC Transformer can be re-used but often the Caps and Bridge rectifier are on one of the boards your removing so you'll need to make a little board with new caps etc or use another PSU.
    For this reason I prefer to use a new often higher voltage toroidal supply has the steppers are often well under performing. Along with smaller Switch mode PSU for Relays etc to save messing around with differant size Caps etc for differant DC voltages required. The stock transformer gives several AC voltages.

    The Spindle speed controller can be re-used but you'll need Controller or BOB that can provide 0-10V signal.

    The Contactors and Relays can often be reused, as can most of the other bit's n bobs inside.!

    Not difficult to do but Not something I'd encourage anyone who as NO experience to take on.!!

  10. #60
    Chaz's Avatar
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 975. Received thanks 70 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Depends on how old and what's inside.? Often if converting your better just replacing control and the drives with modern stuff. You'll have a far better performing machine.

    The AC Transformer can be re-used but often the Caps and Bridge rectifier are on one of the boards your removing so you'll need to make a little board with new caps etc or use another PSU.
    For this reason I prefer to use a new often higher voltage toroidal supply has the steppers are often well under performing. Along with smaller Switch mode PSU for Relays etc to save messing around with differant size Caps etc for differant DC voltages required. The stock transformer gives several AC voltages.

    The Spindle speed controller can be re-used but you'll need Controller or BOB that can provide 0-10V signal.

    The Contactors and Relays can often be reused, as can most of the other bit's n bobs inside.!

    Not difficult to do but Not something I'd encourage anyone who as NO experience to take on.!!
    Thanks. Understood. I'm happy to do the electronics, sounds like a perfect match for a lot of new kit.

    Trying to find some details of the spindle etc to see if it matches what I need in terms of speed / power.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FOR SALE: 240v decent electric filter
    By DrNik in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-03-2015, 12:30 PM
  2. WANTED: cnc milling machine
    By bigred5765 in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-04-2014, 11:08 PM
  3. eBay: Looks a decent little machine
    By EddyCurrent in forum Items On eBay UK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM
  4. A decent little (PCB miilling) Chinese machine...
    By HankMcSpank in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-06-2013, 06:59 PM
  5. First CNC milling machine help
    By newtoid1986 in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •