. .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Cleaner version of the same thing. Looks a decent sturdy machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgeport...01814587&rt=nc
    Not same thing at all. Same Manufacturer very differant animal. The first is much strong model IMO.

Chances are both these models use Steppers not servo's. If they do use servos they most likely will be Brushed DC servos and use 0-10v with maybe custom drives so do some research before buying if paying big money.
    If controller is working then check out it's spec, memory etc and how it accepts G-code etc. If your planning on doing 3D work then often the controller is the weak link so paying for a machine with a working control is wasted money as you'll most likely rip it out.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 16-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Silyavski bet me too it and i was going to say same.

You can find Old machines like that Bridgeport that just need new life breathing into them.
    You don't waste your time trying to use there old standard controllers just rip them out and retrofit with modern one. Often there control on these things are limited with very little memory.
    You'll find on older machines the drives will require 0-10v analog signals rather than step & dir like modern stuff uses.
    Ounce upon a time this made life difficult for your average person to retrofit or Very very expensive after market controllers so often things like drives and motors where replaced making it expensive and uneconomical in some cases.!! . . But not anymore now Cslabs have a analog Controller at sensible enough money that was designed just this purpose of retro fittng old machines. Even ones that use 12 or 24 logic.!

This means often all you need to replace is the Controller and with a bit of re-wiring you can re-use all the existing components and get the machine working like it's never done before.!
    Just be aware thou most industrial spec machines require 3 phase power.! Often this is just for the Spindle not the Motors or drives. On many old machines like that Bridge port you'll find either Steppers or Brushed DC servos. Depending on drives etc often it just means changing or rewiring a transfomer so use single phase.
    The Spindle is the main thing that will require 3 phase but often you can just run these straight from a VFD. Or you can buy Converter that will transform single phase to three phase if large HP.

Personally I'd wait for some Old iron to come along and replace everything with moderern servos and controller etc before buy those mickey mouse toys.
    Thanks to both. So basically look at something like the Bridgeport? I dont mind doing some retrofitting. I used the PlanetCNC USB controller before and loved it.

Thoughts on the Denfords, are they considered 'toys' or more like the real deal?

Thanks to both. So basically look at something like the Bridgeport? I dont mind doing some retrofitting. I used the PlanetCNC USB controller before and loved it.

Thoughts on the Denfords, are they considered 'toys' or more like the real deal?
    Forget PlanetCNC for retro fitting again it's a toy. You wan't ethernet for serious machine USB is rubbish and unreliable IMO.

Denfords are still toys but very good toys.!! . . . . . . By the way the Denford in Dewsbury you show I know the guy who Converted that to Mach3. He actually works for the Company who's selling it.

If your planning on milling aluminium then look towards a machine with high spindle speeds 5K is minimum 10K + better.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 16-05-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks again all. Problem is no 3 phase at home. I could run a VFD for the spindle. Cant help but get the feeling Im biting off more than I can chew :-(

Mmmmm. I dont know enough about whats good and what bits are good and the potential money pit is big I think, especially if I need to start to retrofit parts.

Not same thing at all. Same Manufacturer very differant animal. The first is much strong model IMO.

Chances are both these models use Steppers not servo's. If they do use servos they most likely will be Brushed DC servos and use 0-10v with maybe custom drives so do some research before buying if paying big money.
    If controller is working then check out it's spec, memory etc and how it accepts G-code etc. If your planning on doing 3D work then often the controller is the weak link so paying for a machine with a working control is wasted money as you'll most likely rip it out.!!
    They have the same name and model from what I can tell. What is different between them? Trying to learn from what you are spotting as to what is important and what is not.

Thanks again all. Problem is no 3 phase at home. I could run a VFD for the spindle. Cant help but get the feeling Im biting off more than I can chew :-(

Mmmmm. I dont know enough about whats good and what bits are good and the potential money pit is big I think, especially if I need to start to retrofit parts.
    It's not difficult but does require some knowledge and plenty of research before commiting.

IMO all the machines you have shown so far are cheap (with exception of Denford) chinese imports. They are badged up with someone elses name on but all the same low quality machines.
    I think you will be disspointed with the results and you will in the end up either chasing away problems they have and wasting money doing so or selling on.! . . . All cases you'll still Blow money.!!

Old machine and retro fit will serve you better in long run. Also You'll more than likely sell it for more than you payed if you ever do move on or upgrade.

To be honest for your needs with aluminium and plastics which requires higher spindle rpm/feeds I'd build a very strong Fixed Gantry machine and put the money into using good components and ATC spindle before waste on those Chinese Import Milling machines.
    The mills will always perform below par for cutting aluminium and plastics compared to strong machine built and spec'd for the task.

Retro fitting a old machine with a high RPM spindle 8k plus would be only choice between building or buying. No way would I consider Small mill for cutting aluminium unless it had high rpm spindle and used Linear bearings.!!

It's not difficult but does require some knowledge and plenty of research before commiting.

IMO all the machines you have shown so far are cheap (with exception of Denford) chinese imports. They are badged up with someone elses name on but all the same low quality machines.
    I think you will be disspointed with the results and you will in the end up either chasing away problems they have and wasting money doing so or selling on.! . . . All cases you'll still Blow money.!!

Old machine and retro fit will serve you better in long run. Also You'll more than likely sell it for more than you payed if you ever do move on or upgrade.

To be honest for your needs with aluminium and plastics which requires higher spindle rpm/feeds I'd build a very strong Fixed Gantry machine and put the money into using good components and ATC spindle before waste on those Chinese Import Milling machines.
    The mills will always perform below par for cutting aluminium and plastics compared to strong machine built and spec'd for the task.

Retro fitting a old machine with a high RPM spindle 8k plus would be only choice between building or buying. No way would I consider Small mill for cutting aluminium unless it had high rpm spindle and used Linear bearings.!!
    Thanks. I did build my own machine before. It worked 'OK' but not sure Ill do that again. Here is a vid of it cutting a plastic gear with a 1mm high speed endmill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jXTrO0rok

I could not get the rigidity I needed and making centre holes (on a different gear) proved almost impossible.

Thanks. I did build my own machine before. It worked 'OK' but not sure Ill do that again. Here is a vid of it cutting a plastic gear with a 1mm high speed endmill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jXTrO0rok

I could not get the rigidity I needed and making centre holes (on a different gear) proved almost impossible.
    Well what do you expect if you built it out of spagetti.!! . . . . . I'm talking about properly built machine built with substantial materials and correctly done.
    If done properly then it's not difficult to build a machine that will do everything you need and do it much better than any cheap chinese import mill can.!

The difference between th 2 bridgeports is the series. MK1 & Mk2 They look like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridgeport-interact-620x413.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	15349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c0ec4_BRIDGEPORT_Interact_1_Mk_2.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	15350
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 16-05-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Well what do you expect if you built it out of spagetti.!! . . . . . I'm talking about properly built machine built with substantial materials and correctly done.
    If done properly then it's not difficult to build a machine that will do everything you need and do it much better than any cheap chinese import mill can.!

The difference between th 2 bridgeports is the series. MK1 & Mk2 They look like this.
    Ye, understood and lesson learnt with schoolfees to match.

Can you link to something that you refer to as a suitable DIY type machine please? Appreciate your time with the feedback / comments.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information