. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    I think if the motors are working (at a guess, they probably are), then I think they'll be just fine.

I'd emphasise the 'budget for' though; worst case, you might have to fork out, but obviously, every penny you don't fork out, is a penny you can spend on your vices (and clamps, endmills etc.,)

The problem with the stock electronics is that it's basic (eg., the drivers are probably only half-stepping etc.,) and conservative (voltages are lower than necessary etc.,). So, it's not going to run as smoothly or as quickly as it otherwise could.

Having said that, it's also quality stuff; so it's often worth flogging the bits you don't need on eBay, especially if they're working - last I looked the motion control and driver boards seemed to fetch a decent price.

On my very small Denford, I've only replaced the stepper drives and DC supply (the original was part of the original drive board). I've been able to keep the door latches, e-stop, various relays, spindle control board, transformer etc., The main reason I replaced the drive board was actually that it was a real pain to interface to. After a couple of months of 'is it the drive or is it the BOB or is it my wiring' hassle, I broke down, bought a Gecko and had the machine working (with LinuxCNC) in a couple of days.
    Last edited by Jess; 02-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Thread Information