. .
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Having previously designed and built a CNC machine, I learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't. I dont want to waste time trying to get a machine to work as needed, I managed to get semi decent results, the kit was decent, but not sure my design did it justice.

So looking at this again however keen to buy something that is ready built and works.

I have 2 main requirements, a bit different, hoping that there is a machine that can do both.

The first is cutting of 2 gears, in brass or plastic. I have previously milled these from the 'top down' but had issues getting 100% centre when the one gear was flipped over. I believe now the better way to do that is to make 2 parts and join them together. A lathe is probably better to make the 'blank' and then use something to cut the gear slot. I dont know if these gears are custom or not. I have measured them and cannot find a module number they comply too. Some pics should be attached.

The second need is bike parts using Aluminium. I need something that can automate the production of a number of pieces as far as possible. Parts will be things like rear sets, levers etc.

Ideally it should have a auto tool changer or one where I can simply remove the tool and apply the new tool without having to reset the Z all the time.

Ive looked at a number of machines from companies like Axminster, Amadeal etc.

No fixed budget, cheaper is better but willing to look at machines that are anything up to £10K. Doesnt need to be new, 2nd hand also welcome. My preference is something that connects via USB like the PlanetCNC card or similar.

Size wise, not massive, but I dont want to buy too small and be stuck. A milling area of 300mm x 300mm sounds reasonable.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MixGears.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	15327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GearsInUse.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	15328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackGear.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	15329  
    Last edited by Chaz; 15-05-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Moved Pics to better place in text.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

All the hobby CNC's you mention above are similar in quality and finish. It is the aftercare that you should learn about.

You are doing the right thing in budgeting for a turnkey machine if you are interested in producing bits professionally.

Get something with either an ISO 30 or R8 spindle. Some of the Syil machines come with pneumatic drawbars that save time and really make life that much better. Worth finding out which ones.

ATC's are useful but you can live without them.

Enclosures are VERY GOOD! I wish I could enclose my mill.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    All the hobby CNC's you mention above are similar in quality and finish. It is the aftercare that you should learn about.

You are doing the right thing in budgeting for a turnkey machine if you are interested in producing bits professionally.

Get something with either an ISO 30 or R8 spindle. Some of the Syil machines come with pneumatic drawbars that save time and really make life that much better. Worth finding out which ones.

ATC's are useful but you can live without them.

Enclosures are VERY GOOD! I wish I could enclose my mill.
    Many thanks for the response.

I noted that the Axminster ones, probably like many, are all Chinese made. Not always a bad thing.

What should I budget for something that can work to 0.01mm with at least a quick change bit system like the drawbars (I assume its the clamp thing, powered with compressed air)?

I'm also sure that for these gears, a lathe will be needed, I dont want to try and find a compromise machine but certainly something that can 'turn' a material and mill will be ideal. I could do blanks on a mill and then look at options for cutting the gear.

Any thoughts on this mill?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sieg-kx1s-cnc-mill

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...logy-ikx1-mill - at least it has a ATC of sorts.

If you are able to get a machine for less than £30K to work at 0,01mm please let me know. It really cannot be done at this level of investment. You can get close to 0.01mm but if you are lucky and the moons align you may hit it one day. I would be content with 0.05mm on any milling job even professionally done. Thermal expansions and other sources of error will conspire against you.

May I suggest you go to the various shops and have a look at the machines? They are all much of a muchness in terms of quality and build. Its the extras that really make it.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    If you are able to get a machine for less than £30K to work at 0,01mm please let me know. It really cannot be done at this level of investment. You can get close to 0.01mm but if you are lucky and the moons align you may hit it one day. I would be content with 0.05mm on any milling job even professionally done. Thermal expansions and other sources of error will conspire against you.

May I suggest you go to the various shops and have a look at the machines? They are all much of a muchness in terms of quality and build. Its the extras that really make it.
    Ok, understood. Was being pushy in terms of 'spec'. 0.05 is acceptable for what I need, probably 0.1 too but thats max.

I want to go to Axminster in High Wycombe however still waiting for their technical sales team to get back to me and from what I can see on the shop pics, they dont actually seem to keep these in stock for viewing. Might be wrong, but lets see.

Since you are in the area see Amadeal too.

Why is this so expensive?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballscrew-...71985621&rt=nc

Ive dealt with this company before, used to buy parts for our 3D printers. The item has 25 watchers ..... I fail to see where £10K is here. The spindle is a £150 Kress .... am I missing something?

It's just a little trick we sellers on ebay do when an item is out of stock or short term unavailable, set the price mighty high and no one will buy it hopefully adding the item to their watch list ready for when the price is adjusted to something reasonable again.

If you just close the listing down - as a seller, you lose the intrest, watchers and so on that the item listing has attracted, this is only ideal really when you have a multiple quantity listing going where you have sold lots of the same item already and as such don't want to lose all that good work (a listing is placed higher on the search results page when it has sold well previously, positive feedback recived and so on).

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-05-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    .Me

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information