. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys , ideas please , I'm attempting to cut some accurate stuff and I now realise the cnc is not cutting square. basically its cutting at angle on the y axis. Picture trying to illustrate this posted below. Should I just anchor it down and bash it till its square ? I know that sounds a bit brutal but often its the only way to straighten things..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop-CNC-Router-3020mi-.jpg 
Views:	1444 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	15385  

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh dear...

firstly, you will need to get yourself an engineers square. These are cheap at machine mart, get one that will fit to the table of your machine.

You will need a dial test indicator too #(DTI).

Basically you will need to measure how out of square your machine really is.

So, watch this vid to see how to square your engineers square along the X axis. It is for a vise but it illustrates the point I am trying to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR9tLu_nGxg

With that sorted, and you square trammed in, you should see how the DTI trams along the y axis. I would suggest all the movements of the axis be done by hand.

See this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhmMp2fLSw

Do the measurements to see how far out you really are before you even think of bashing anything.

If you see that the machine is within 0.02-0.03mm square, then you are facing an electronics problem where you are losing steps, the steppers are stalling or your motion control hardware is on the blink.

If you need any help give me a shout.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Did you by any chance, buy this machine secondhand? (tsk...you should never do that, there's just too much shite on the market that won't mill girders - my advice would be to sell it on)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 19-05-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    That's what I like about this forum and the yanks don't understand it "sarcasm" ..Clive

Depending how far from square Just loosen the bolts and tweak it square.

IF that fails don't bother bashing it square just Bash it flat and start again.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Depending how far from square Just loosen the bolts and tweak it square.

IF that fails don't bother bashing it square just Bash it flat and start again.!!
    Its only a mm or maybe 1.5, I'll try your method first :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Oh dear...

firstly, you will need to get yourself an engineers square. These are cheap at machine mart, get one that will fit to the table of your machine.

You will need a dial test indicator too #(DTI).

Basically you will need to measure how out of square your machine really is.

So, watch this vid to see how to square your engineers square along the X axis. It is for a vise but it illustrates the point I am trying to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR9tLu_nGxg

With that sorted, and you square trammed in, you should see how the DTI trams along the y axis. I would suggest all the movements of the axis be done by hand.

See this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhmMp2fLSw

Do the measurements to see how far out you really are before you even think of bashing anything.

If you see that the machine is within 0.02-0.03mm square, then you are facing an electronics problem where you are losing steps, the steppers are stalling or your motion control hardware is on the blink.

If you need any help give me a shout.

If was only that I could live with it :) Thanks for the replies everyone.. let you know how I go on.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Always best to have a square machine, but if you're still out after days of tweaking and you're able to measure the discrepancies, you might consider software correction:

http://korovievskitchen.blogspot.co....on-in-emc.html

That link's for EMC (Linux CNC) - I imagine that there's also a way to achieve this in Mach.

Once again, there's no substitute for a mechanically accurate, well set-up machine, but if you're only able to make ham-fisted adjustments that aren't working for you, then this might be an option.

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 20-05-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Always best to have a square machine, but if you're still out after days of tweaking and you're able to measure the discrepancies, you might consider software correction:

http://korovievskitchen.blogspot.co....on-in-emc.html

That link's for EMC (Linux CNC) - I imagine that there's also a way to achieve this in Mach.

Once again, there's no substitute for a mechanically accurate, well set-up machine, but if you're only able to make ham-fisted adjustments that aren't working for you, then this might be an option.

Wal.
    That was my plan B but I might actually do as a plan A instead, I can actually compensate for it in AutoCad...thanks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bashed it straight, did a test, top male and bottom female with a -0.25 offset , fit was perfect.. sledge Hammer ftw !

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information