. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi I have a Boxford A3HSRi which keeps diving into the work and aborting saying "Axis overtravel, machine requested to move to x= 123...

I have also noticed the spindle collet and casing getting hot - nearly too hot to touch. The spindle clamp and gantry get warm but not hot.

Boxford say its a motherboard issue. £1500 to replace so thought I'd see if anyone had experience of this before I spend money!!

Ant comments gladly received!

Many thanks

Tom

1500??? No way. In worst case scenario that could be a great opportunity to change the control board with something like CSMIO/IP-M
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    1500??? No way. In worst case scenario that could be a great opportunity to change the control board with something like CSMIO/IP-M
    Thanks for the reply Silyavski. That sounds amazing. I haven't a clue how to fit that to a Boxford machine! Does it just plug in somewhere? Will it work with Boxford steppers and software??
    I'm a complete novice at this so any help hugely appreciated.

I have no idea whats inside your machine, maybe somebody will help there. But basically you rip out the main board fit the new one inside or make a separate housing, read the manual of the new board, connect the stepper drives to the board, connect limit switches, connect buttons to inputs, map inputs in Mach 3.
    You will need Mach3 also. That's the program that most people use for CNC, its inexpensive , has great forum, ...

If nobody knows more details, basically i will help you. You will need to open the machine control box? and take some pictures, of the board, drives and motors.

Are these any use? They are integrated behind the machine.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG 
Views:	1737 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	15428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG 
Views:	1660 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	15427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG 
Views:	1807 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	15426  

Now, now, you will need schematics for the machine, but it seems the board with the green lights is the motor drives combined in one board, the one at the right side is the motion control board and the small one should be some termination boards for inputs and out puts.

So at this stage you are pretty sure the board is faulty, right? No way to take it down send to them and they repair for cheap?

If the answer to previous is no, then you need to ask them for the schematics so we see what type of signals it sends to drives, at what voltage and so on, also what else it does and what cables enter and go out from the board. Now somebody experienced with retrofits in your area could figure which is which and what is what very fast.

If they don't send you the schematics the thing to do is see motors name plate, figure motor size, figure at what voltage are driven / transformer output/ rip all out and fit all in one board like that MX3660, its breakout board and 3 drivers integrated. Its LPT compared to the one i said before which is Ethernet but has drives integrated and from all reports is a very nice combo.

Does the Hf spindle has some control box? where the cable to the spindle is coming from?

All 3 motors have these numbers in common: 190\500ST-MTR

X axis has more info....
    Y200-2240-0410 AY04. no idea if thats any clearer.
    At this point I havent got a picture of the spindle wiring - pos tomorrow.

However it's probably a good idea to either get you over from Spain (!) or find a local engineer. Assuming an engineer will charge minimum £500 + controller £250 + software £150 I just wonder if its all going to get a bit near the cost of a motherboard from Boxford?!

No such big deal as you think. from all it seems the original board is so expensive, as its separate stand alone motion control.

Ok, at least for now we have the motors identified and know at what V/A could be driven,

HYBRID STEPPING MOTORS HY / HS / HN Series

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.PNG 
Views:	1681 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	15429  

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 52 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Aylwin View Post
    Hi I have a Boxford A3HSRi which keeps diving into the work and aborting saying "Axis overtravel, machine requested to move to x= 123...

I have also noticed the spindle collet and casing getting hot - nearly too hot to touch. The spindle clamp and gantry get warm but not hot.
    Boxford say its a motherboard issue. £1500 to replace so thought I'd see if anyone had experience of this before I spend money!!

Ant comments gladly received!

Many thanks

Tom
    Why would the gantry and the spindle getting hot have anything to do with the mother board. .. Clive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information