. .

Thread: High-Z/Rhonmac

Ok, introductions over, may i now beg some advice.

I manufacture giftware and am looking to move into carved wood items and maybe carry out some engraving on pewter. I started off looking at small table-top machines but then figured the usefulness of a half-sheet or even full-sheet machine with a vacumn bed would be invaluable. But then I had a rethink, firstly the prices but also I realised that one thing I would like to be able to do is to cut dovetails etc which would mean removing the bed to clamp one half of the joint vertically. I've now decided the best option would be to go for something like a 60/90 with a conventional bed. To be honest this would probably cope with most of the jobs I would want but, if I did need to upgrade in future, then the smaller machine would be useful dedicated to tasks such as jointing, eliminating lost time in re-configuring machine set-ups. As I said though, more than likely a 60/90 would be more than suitable.

Right, down to detail. The prices of the eBay type machines are incredibly attractive but I'm reluctant to spend on something that may not be up to the mark and not last very long. I looked at Axyz machines, it would be nice to buy the home produced item but they are rather pricey. I now have two manufacturers on my short list, High-Z and Rhonmac. I've seen a few comments on here about High-Z and, from what I can gather, are quite well respected. Rhonmac, on the other hand, I can find little information. Their website is appalling! Does anyone have any info? The spec for the RM6090 states the ballscrews are "made in Germany" but what about the rest of the machine? The accuracy is quoted as 0.05mm which is considerably worse than the High-Z but good enough? I don't know, anyone?

One last thing, I read somewhere that the bed could be removed on the High-Z and the whole machine placed on the working material and worked through the open bed, effectively making it limitless in X and Y. Is this practical?

Thanks in advance.

Hiya, welcome to the forum!

I've used Rhonmac is the past, long story short - I ordered 3 stepper motors and they took forever to come. I think they are just middle men/resellers, so it's probably the case that your not buying anything you can't just get off eBay anyway ?!? Though I haven't looked (yet) as like I say they couldn't get 3 steppers right so I've never been back to their website...

The High-Z are very popular, they do have 1 or 2 things that could be improved but what product can't be criticised if that's your inclination...

The High-Z would be my choice of the two here, but ultimately my real choice, would be to build my own.

.Me
    .Me

Ok,

I've just had a look at the Rhonmac website, I assumed that 6090 in the title referenced a type of machine I've seen before, eBay - 6090 but actually it doesn't and the machine from Rhonmac is something different and not just the machine I was expecting to see, rebranded under the Rhonmac name.

So, my thoughts have changed and if I HAD to choose I would go with the Rhonmac machine BUT!!! parting with my cash would be subject to having a look under the hood, so to speak!

The Rhonmac machine looks as though it uses Supported Round Rail for its linear movement/support, the High-Z machine uses UN-Supported Round Rail, the better of the two types is the supported rail, however this combined with "a single casting which gives rigidity to the table and linear bearings" isn't any ware near enough reassurance to part with that much cash.

Coming back to the Heiz brand, if I had to choose a machine from them it would be their T-Rex 0609 unit, from Philip at Prototools, however, I would still build my own, as I'm confident I would finish with a better spec'ed machine and think this can be done for around £2k as a DIY.

If you're not the sort to build your own and would rather just buy a machine ready to go, I would seriously consider getting a machine built for you by other forum members, for example look at this machine recently delivered by Dean: Jazzcnc, the right choice in a custom made machine.

.Me
    .Me

Oh no Lee, you've just hit the nail on the head, I'm EXACTLY the sort to build it myself! I guess I've been, metaphorically speaking, sticking my fingers in my ears going "la la la la"! I'm going to have to look into this now.
    Seriously though Lee, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I can't ignore getting a better spec machine for less money, and the enjoyment of a build thrown in.

Exactly and we are all here to get you on the right path, have a good read of the build logs and the build review logs as there's much read about. Once you find your feet design a machine and put it up for review and your off!

.Me
    .Me

Thread Information