Thread: 3D Relief work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11
    Hi Bud
    Is this a job you could do
    Pete

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Have a look at Vectric PhotoVcarve will do all you want.

    Phill
    Had a look at this program yes it does photos but I have a 80 watt Laser that does my photos far better quality than a cnc but the customer wants the Lancaster Bomber to look as though it is flying out of the wall
    Pete

  3. Quote Originally Posted by petesos View Post
    Had a look at this program yes it does photos but I have a 80 watt Laser that does my photos far better quality than a cnc but the customer wants the Lancaster Bomber to look as though it is flying out of the wall
    Pete
    But your question was about getting an image through to cnc!! To get the best out of photoVcarve Use the highest resolution photos you have, first run through an Image edditing program & increase the contrast, then convert them to black and white (not gray scale).

    If you want to make a part of the image stand out more then you are going have to put some work into it to raise or lower said part, then you are looking at using another program such as Vertric ASPIRE in which you import an image work on it and take it through to produce the toolpaths for cutting on a cnc or laser, but going this route is expencive but rewarding in the finished piece.



    Phill

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    But your question was about getting an image through to cnc!! To get the best out of photoVcarve Use the highest resolution photos you have, first run through an Image edditing program & increase the contrast, then convert them to black and white (not gray scale).

    If you want to make a part of the image stand out more then you are going have to put some work into it to raise or lower said part, then you are looking at using another program such as Vertric ASPIRE in which you import an image work on it and take it through to produce the toolpaths for cutting on a cnc or laser, but going this route is expencive but rewarding in the finished piece.



    Phill
    Right Phill, I am going to have another go with it and do what you have said ,,,worth a try and will post the outcome Bud
    Pete

  5. #15
    Neale's Avatar
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 1,005. Received thanks 170 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    From what you are saying, you might be looking to turn a picture into a 3D model, rather than the light-and-shade conversion that PhotoVCarve does. This is something I did a while back - I can't pretend that it's good, but it's better than I expected. It's part of a project to make a nameplate for my house. I used 123D Catch to turn a bunch of digital photographs of the badger model into an STL model which I then hacked around a bit, and used Cut3D to turn into a toolpath. It was all done when I was new to the software and the whole CNC thing, so it's not done very well, but it illustrates the art of the possible, maybe. I could imagine using this technique to get an impression of an aircraft emerging from a flat plate.
    Original model:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007 reduced.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	15486
    Machined model:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badger head.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	15487
    The grooving effect is because I didn't use an appropriate step-over for the ballnose cutter used for finishing. As I say, it's not good but even to achieve this was a lot of work. I guess you might be able to find someone with 3D scanning capability, given an aircraft model as a starting point.

  6. #16
    So you would like to do it by cutting or by laser, i don't understand?

    Cause if by laser you need to retouch the file in Photoshop and make it look beveled

    Or you need to make it a real 3D with Aspire or similar.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

  7. This bike is worked through Aspire and cut into a stone memorial.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB01.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	15488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB02.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	15489  

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    From what you are saying, you might be looking to turn a picture into a 3D model, rather than the light-and-shade conversion that PhotoVCarve does. This is something I did a while back - I can't pretend that it's good, but it's better than I expected. It's part of a project to make a nameplate for my house. I used 123D Catch to turn a bunch of digital photographs of the badger model into an STL model which I then hacked around a bit, and used Cut3D to turn into a toolpath. It was all done when I was new to the software and the whole CNC thing, so it's not done very well, but it illustrates the art of the possible, maybe. I could imagine using this technique to get an impression of an aircraft emerging from a flat plate.
    Original model:

    Machined model:

    The grooving effect is because I didn't use an appropriate step-over for the ballnose cutter used for finishing. As I say, it's not good but even to achieve this was a lot of work. I guess you might be able to find someone with 3D scanning capability, given an aircraft model as a starting point.
    Not bad Bud and we all need to start somewhere , when I tried it in photo v carve a while ago it looked like Road kill , Honestly

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    So you would like to do it by cutting or by laser, i don't understand?

    Cause if by laser you need to retouch the file in Photoshop and make it look beveled

    Or you need to make it a real 3D with Aspire or similar.
    Hi Bud yes I want to make it a 3D carving but my skill level is not up to it

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    This bike is worked t
    Pete



    Hi Bud
    Is this one you have done ??
    Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Grey scale / height map / relief carving
    By totts in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 10:47 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-01-2014, 09:48 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2013, 12:42 PM
  4. Work in Norway
    By Protech HR in forum Opportunities Available & Sought
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
  5. WANTED: Frame work
    By D-man in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •