. .
    Hi guys,
    I have to cut some 10mm to 10.8mm grooves at a depth of 39mmin HDPE. I am thinking of the following:
    10mm 4 tip carbide end mill 50mm long
    4000 rpm which is my max spindle speed x and y feedrate 1800mm per minute 2500mm max for my mill
    300mm in the z cutting at 3.9mm per pass 10 passes.
    I believe weld back could be an issue. I was thinking of using an airline to try and blow the loose away but I thought I may just do more damage than good and stop the waste from exiting the groove. I got to thinking perhaps a vacuum may be better to try and suck the waste away.
    I also have to surface finish the HDPE. I was wondering if Iwould get away with a 38mm TCT surfacing bit I use in my router I think I used to run it at about 12000rpm so I am not sure what it would be like at 4000rpm
    I am pretty clueless when it comes to plastic and metal so Iwill welcome any thoughts or criticism.
    I downloaded G wizard but I found it a little confusing and I have to crack on with machining the part I will have to have a look over it when I get more time!
    All the best and many thanks for any help in advance
    Suesi
    Last edited by suesi34e; 02-06-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    I have to cut some 10mm to 10.8mm grooves at a depth of 39mmin HDPE. I am thinking of the following:
    10mm 4 tip carbide end mill 50mm long
    4000 rpm which is my max spindle speed x and y federate 1800mmper minute 2500mm max for my mill
    300mm federate in the z cutting at 3.9mm per pass 10 passes.
    I have just been cutting Nylon 6 and found 1 or 2 flute upcut works best it throws the chips out great no need for airline just use vac to clean up.

Phill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Hi Phill,
    Thank you for your reply. I am glad your cutters worked for you. I will have to try and source some 1 or 2 upcut cutters for future reference. I will try with the 4 flute I have unless I am told it is the wrong cutter and that way it will give me a comparison for when I get the cutters you mention.
    Many thanks
    Suesi

I suppose it is worth mentioning once in a while for newbies... if you want to surface anything with an end cutter you need non-plunging tooling.
    If your tool cuts all the way to the middle it will leave a graunchy, chewed up line behind when you go sideways

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

I would definately recommend a 1 or 2 flute cutter with a slow spiral, your 4 flute cutter doesnt leave much chip clearance. I would rough first then use the 0.8mm left to finish both sides, very sharp tooling and flood coolant/high pressure air recommended.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesgates1000 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Robin,

I cut the little job without any balls ups. I was most worried about damaging the machine, cutter or material. That was all fine and the finish will do from the 4 flute for the job in hand. I will get some better cutters perhaps some Trend one and two flute ones.

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi James,

Many thanks for your help and the pointers. I will try and get some one and two flute cutter for the next job. I had to crack on with what I had for know. Perhaps Trend cutters will be good if you or anyone could provide a cutter reference that would be great so I could the right ones. I have a coolant tank on my mill but know coolant that is another job I will try the compressor though!

All the best

Suesi

Thread Information