Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11
    Jess's Avatar
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Because after all we are talking, or I am, about expereices using Motion control cards working with Mach3 and not about the Protocol used to do this.
    We were both very obviously talking about the connection/protocol. For example; here you are, talking specifically about the protocol used, only a scant few posts ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The Same can't be said for USB it's irratic and unpredictable. There's so many things that can affect it IMO it's not a good or suitable connection for reliable Motion control.
    Then your very next post; talking about protocol again:
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ethernet is much better than USB for Motion control
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    My Experience with USB and Mach3 hasn't been good or stable regardless of Device Supplier or PC.
    That's fine - that's a claim based on your experience; I'm not trying to argue that you've never used a good or stable one!

    However...you're not saying the same thing when your words are about USB as a whole. When you claim that USB is not a 'good or suitable connection for reliable Motion control' you're unavoidably also claiming that it's impossible for a USB motion controller to be reliable, because it uses USB.
    Last edited by Jess; 04-06-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: formatting

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    However...you're not saying the same thing when your words are about USB as a whole. When you claim that USB is not a 'good or suitable connection for reliable Motion control' you're unavoidably also claiming that it's impossible for a USB motion controller to be reliable, because it uses USB.
    Twist my words to suite for argument all you like the fact still remains with real world experience in a cnc enviroment using MACH3 with All connection types and just about every Motion control card that works with Mach3. USB is definatlely the one thats given me most unexplained troubles. Ethernet hasn't and that's a fact not theory.!! . . . . . Now I really have done with this pointless argument.!!

  3. #13
    Jess's Avatar
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    USB is definatlely the one thats given me most unexplained troubles.
    Keyword here is 'unexplained'; you don't know the cause.

    ...which is exactly what I've been arguing all along. There's plenty of other things that can go wrong with a motion controller and you've finally admitted that you do not know what the problem actually is.

    Thank you for admitting I was right all along.
    Last edited by Jess; 04-06-2015 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #14
    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:

    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-06-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Moderation

  5. #15
    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:

    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-06-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Moderation

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Go ***REMOVED*** some where else you ***REMOVED***
    Jazz, it is a pity that you were forced into a slanging match, but I fully understand why. It is generally accepted that you are one of the most informed and helpful members on this forum, and I am a little suprised that you lasted so long!!! I still love you. G.XXX
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-06-2015 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Moderation

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Jazz, it is a pity that you were forced into a slanging match, but I fully understand why. It is generally accepted that you are one of the most informed and helpful members on this forum, and I am a little suprised that you lasted so long!!! I still love you. G.XXX
    Geoff I'm calming down as I'm getting Older but every now again ***REMOVED*** comes along and pushes the Button.
    I honestly Don't give a flying F@@ about him I know what I know thru experience of building machines. It's the others reading his theory and untested conclusions drival that I'm more bothered about and it pisses me off when all I'm trying to do is pass on this experience to save others buying what I know to be more trouble some devices.

    I've just come out of workshop after 6 hours of wirng so Maybe it's time for quick Guiness before Bed to Calm me down.!!!

    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:

    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-06-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Moderation

  8. #18
    Hi,

    Jazzcnc, at no point in the discussion did Jess make personal comments about or to you, in the way you have in reply to Jess, please respect other forum members, as rightly pointed out by GEOFFREY, you are a Forum Superstar , we know you for greater things ;-).

    I've read this discussion from the start and suggest it's now time to move on to other things more deserving of our attention, though I can understand the points both of you are making:

    Jazzcnc, I share the same thoughts as you to some extent on this, as in, who cares what is really going on "behind the scenes" so long as the machine is reliable and doing what is required, something's I picked up was that, motion control units that communicate via Ethernet are typically more costly, have a higher level of sophistication and may have the ability to "hide" any problems that may be occurring, giving the effect that everything is "fine and dandy" when actually it may not be, so some form of investigation may not be a bad idea.

    Jess, I share the same views as you regarding "treating the cause, not the symptoms" and I'm exactly the type to investigate further myself before moving to a different technology, however, in some circumstances, it may be a better idea to switch to something else, a few of our members use their machines in production environments, so down time would be a major problem. Moving quickly to an Ethernet based system, to get up and running again sooner, may be the way I would choose to go first.

    Thank you both for the things you've contributed so far, yet again I've learnt a little more on the CNC subject, which brings us nicely back on topic!

    lateAtNight, have you implemented a solution to the problems your having, if so, what did you choose to do? if not, what are you likely to do next?

    .Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-06-2015 at 02:25 AM.
    .Me

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Hi,

    Jazzcnc, at no point in the discussion did Jess make personal comments about or to you, in the way you have in reply to Jess, please respect other forum members, as rightly pointed out by GEOFFREY, you are a Forum Superstar , we know you for greater things ;-).
    You know me Lee I say it the way I see it and he was being a provocative ***REMOVED*** towards me so I said it like it was.! Not often I call someone a Troll on any forum but he showed all the classic signs when he continually argued back against Experience over Theory with a person so experienced when he's only got 20+ posts to his name.!! . . . .(post of them arguing with me.!)
    For god sake when things are developed whats the procedure.? First it's theory on paper then it's Tested which is experience. Often the Theory doesn't match the test results I know this all too well building Bespoke machines and several years working in Motor cycle racing R&D.
    I help and share what i've learnt thru experience to genuinely help others on forum avoid taking a route I know can or will lead to hassle. It's not to massage my Ego showing off my theory knowledge. Anyone who's dealt with me knows this to be true.!!

    The simple matter of fact in this case is that USB motion control devices available for MACH3 are not as stable or reliable compared to there Ethernet brothers for what ever reason.! End of the day it doesn't matter to the end user what the reason is all He and I care about is that the machine is stable and reliable.
    Why USB has brain farts is not my concern wounce i've established it's not my work or the setup of the PC or machine. Long ago the USB smooth stepper taught me that chasing Ghosts is time consuming and expensive. In the case of USB smooth stepper it was a design fault BUT. .!! Every USB Motion control device, without exeception, I've used withb Mach3 has at some point dropped out while cutting. No matter the cable quality or length etc. This is not the case with Ethernet.!! . . . Yes occasionally you can have troubles getting it to talk to a device but wounce they are chattering away they keep on and never stop until told to do so.!!

    There I'm done and said my piece.

    Now Lateatnight if you haven't or can't get to the bottom of this then contact me via PM to stop certain ***REMOVED*** interfering and I'll give you my number. I'll also give a friend a call who I'm sure will know all the tricks the sieg can playup with.!

    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:


    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-06-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Moderation

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You know me Lee I say it the way I see it and he was being a provocative Knob towards me so I said it like it was.! Not often I call someone a Troll on any forum but he showed all the classic signs
    Yep I do, I disagree though, Jess didn't respond to you in the same way you did to him, so while it may have been the way you perceived it, that doesn't mean your perception of it was correct or the intension of Jess.

    You don't need to occupy your judgment with troll like behaviour, that's my job and i'm here for you :), I've said it before, I'm not here to manage peoples personalities - it's their behaviour I'm watching out for and I will step in on behalf of any of you if I think its required.

    Allot of thought went into the forum guidelines, a little movement either side of the "line" I'm confident we can all live with from time to time, rude and/or personal comments are way way way to far over the line of acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I help and share what i've learnt thru experience to genuinely help others on forum avoid taking a route I know can or will lead to hassle. It's not to massage my Ego showing off my theory knowledge. Anyone who's dealt with me knows this to be true.!!
    We all know this Dean and thank you for your commitment to helping others, for a very high percentage of your commitment to others, you are able to do so without the need to cross to far over the "line", just because you think it, doesn't mean you have to say it, the point I'm trying to make is, your better than that .

    Cool, I cant say I gave your motivations any thought, past what I already know of you generally. What I would say is, given the success you have in helping others...its ok to feel good about yourself

    .Me
    .Me

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB/Ethernet controller for Mach3/4 advice
    By paulus.v in forum Control Hardware & Systems
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17-02-2015, 09:37 PM
  2. CSMIO/IP-M vs Ethernet SmoothStepper (Begone foul parallel port!)
    By Greeny in forum Control Hardware & Systems
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 14-11-2013, 11:59 PM
  3. USB and Ethernet Mach3 motion controller PLCM-E3
    By Purelogic RnD in forum Manufacturer News
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  4. Pros and cons of climb milling in wood
    By Richie in forum Wood Finishing Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-06-2012, 05:09 PM
  5. Types of Ballnut and preload, questions - pros & cons ?
    By Jon S in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •