Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21
    Hi Lee,

    I've been close to bringing this to your attention for a while to see if there was a way through (just in terms of giving the OP the post back I mean).

    I was going to suggest seperating the thread out into "Best ways to connect to a CNC machine?" [ around post#13? ] where pros and cons of USB vs PP vs Ethernet etc. could be discussed. There are some valid discussions on that topic to be had all round I think, moderation issues aside.

    Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  2. #22
    Yep good call, I'm out on the school run at the mo so will sort it later today

    .Me
    .Me

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Ethernet really isn't a natural partner for realtime stuff
    20 years of 1st to 3rd line IT support and development work in industrial control for Blue Chips strongly suggests otherwise to me.
    Have you read up on the error-checking and packet resending features of the Ethernet Protocol?
    Where routers are involved information can travel several different routes and still be resolved at the destination, this is why the images which you view in your internet browser show so few errors.
    Ethernet is not erratic (or even irratic) it's a very robust communication protocol, if you'd levelled your accusation against Token Ring then you may have had a leg to stand on!
    Regards,
    Nick

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    then you may have had a leg to stand on!
    ***REMOVED***

    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:


    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-06-2015 at 02:43 AM. Reason: moderation, spelling on note

  5. #25
    Jess Enough now please your splitting Hairs to suit your unrealistic cause, again detracting from L.A.N problem.!! . . . Drop it sit back and watch this machine running on a CSlabs Ethernet motion controller doing all those things you say Ethernet can't do.!!

    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-06-2015 at 08:33 PM.

  6. #26
    Jess's Avatar
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Jess Enough now please your splitting Hairs to suit your unrealistic cause, again detracting from L.A.N problem.!!
    From the perspective of my own experience, the distinctions I'm making are significant.

    To try to explain: It's a bit like someone claiming you can do (arbitrary) under cuts on a vertical mill that has 3 axes. If you're a machinist, whether it's a 3, 4 or 5 axis job is a big difference, but to someone who just wants their design made it might seem like a trivial issue after all, it's 'just one more'.

    Apologies for the detraction from the L.A.N. problem, though, you're absolutely right. I was erked by someone claiming a couple of decades of experience, but then, making the sort of error that should have been learned on day one. (Like if someone told you they had 20 years of experience as a machinist, but then couldn't explain climb versus conventional milling.)

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Drop it sit back and watch this machine running on a CSlabs Ethernet motion controller doing all those things you say Ethernet can't do.!!
    It's an example of moving the controller, so Ethernet doesn't have to deal with realtime demands (my point 2). Actually, you made this distinction really well earlier in the thread, when you referred to this kind of setup as 'Buffered not realtime'.

    Very cool video too though! :)
    Last edited by Jess; 06-06-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: 20 years not 13.

  7. #27
    Well I'm not going any deeper because you clearly don't get that Mach3 isn't real time so WTF does it matter.!! . . All I'll say is if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.!! . . . . . http://www.haas.co.uk/

    Check the "Whats Included" list Second from bottom.!!!


    Oh and who says you can't undercut with 3 Axis.!!. . . . .. . I've done it many times.!!

    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-06-2015 at 10:14 PM.

  8. #28
    Jess's Avatar
    Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well I'm not going any deeper because you clearly don't get that Mach3 isn't real time so WTF does it matter.!!
    I just quoted you on those Ethernet controls (like the CSlab) being 'buffered not realtime' because it's a great way of putting it, so, yes, I definitely get that part!

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Oh and who says you can't undercut with 3 Axis.!!
    I included the word 'arbitrary' to try to rule out the use of specialised tooling as used in that video (and, of course, to rule out things like tilting tables, vices etc.,)

    However, it works just as well as the example: you jumped in with a correction because you saw something you felt to be misleading.

    This is exactly the same thing as I've done - difference is that I've been called a fair few names plus suggestions of physical violence for my trouble.

  9. #29
    I get it, Ethernet isn't suitable for something no-one here needs to do, good point(less) well made!
    I didn't mention TCP/IP and in that I was wrong, I suspect there is very little TCP/IP-Free Ethernet in use outside industrial applications though.
    As for ethernet being unsuitable for rigid tapping and other "closed loop" control processes you are entirely correct and that's why it isn't used for that, but neither is any other remote communication system - the motion controller deals with closed loop rigid tapping locally.
    ;-)
    Last edited by magicniner; 06-06-2015 at 11:59 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    This is exactly the same thing as I've done - difference is that I've been called a fair few names plus suggestions of physical violence for my trouble.
    Twas a Joke Hence the Jester.!! . . . The names I stand by because to me you where being a ***REMOVED*** for arguing something that wasn't relavant and pointless to the discussion.! My reference to USB motion controllers being troublesome with Mach3 and Ethernet not being was based on Fact thru experience not theory. You where just being provoking IMO.!! . . . I was stupid enough to respond I should have known better.!

    Now FFS lets leave it alone.!!

    Except this.!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I included the word 'arbitrary' to try to rule out the use of specialised tooling as used in that video
    Nothing specialised about that tool it's just a T-slot cutter.!!!

    MODERATED: Section 2 of the Community & Forum Guidelines, points 5 & 6.

    What you should NOT do:


    • Discuss or link to objectionable and/or offensive topics. This is not permitted and includes but is not limited to: things of a violent nature, pornography, sexism, racism and/or other discriminatory subjects, this includes things considered to be as a “joke”. Religious and/or political discussions or anything considered to be of the same nature are not appropriate for these forums and will be removed from public viewing.
    • Create threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate. Such content will be removed from public viewing.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-06-2015 at 02:42 AM. Reason: moderation

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB/Ethernet controller for Mach3/4 advice
    By paulus.v in forum Control Hardware & Systems
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17-02-2015, 09:37 PM
  2. CSMIO/IP-M vs Ethernet SmoothStepper (Begone foul parallel port!)
    By Greeny in forum Control Hardware & Systems
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 14-11-2013, 11:59 PM
  3. USB and Ethernet Mach3 motion controller PLCM-E3
    By Purelogic RnD in forum Manufacturer News
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  4. Pros and cons of climb milling in wood
    By Richie in forum Wood Finishing Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-06-2012, 05:09 PM
  5. Types of Ballnut and preload, questions - pros & cons ?
    By Jon S in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •