. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It is down to personal preference.
    However most experienced machine builders, will recommend Ethernet over USB. Over 99% of USB users never have any problems, even when questionable wiring techniques have been used, yet others, even with proper wiring techniques will have endless problems.
    The fact is though, the only threads over on the Mach forum about intermittent communication issues are all about USB controllers. I personally cannot remember seeing any involving Ethernet, apart from initial setup problems.
    PCs can have more than one Ethernet port installed, it's just not a common thing to need. There are people who run Ethernet devices over a full network, but ideally you should be dedicating a computer to running a machine and connecting directly, with the same advice applying to USB.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-06-2015 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 35. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    There is no respect for experience it seems.
    I respect experience. What has seemingly confused you is that I believe that respecting experience means you respect both what it tells you and what it doesn't.

"Knowledge|" without experience is just a collection of facts or suggestions, from here and there.
    The collorary to that is: "Experience" without "Knowledge" is just half truths and old wives tales. You need both of them.

I'd have liked to present a more continuous narrative, but that's just not possible when the topic is getting changed enough times that we somehow got from the relative sophistication of ethernet and USB controllers to talking about connecting to a machine with a parallel port CANbus adaptor!

and then upgraded to Ethernet controllers. See Galil for example. Even cheap controllers have done the same. So there must be a reason for that.
    Simple; the cost of doing it compared with the profit of doing it.

With the integration level of modern microcontrollers, an Ethernet port costs about the same to put on a board as a properly isolated USB port. Given there's also a willingness to pay a small premium for Ethernet it's not surprise that things are moving that way.

I am half expecting soon to hear that RP is better than ball screw and that HD alu profile gantry is stronger than steel one..
    Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you to use coat hangers as rails for your X axis!

...I just wish people had done me the same courtesy on this topic. Especially given that later posts have now repeatedly confirmed what I've been getting shouted down for saying is correct!
    Last edited by Jess; 08-06-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Location unknown. Jon. Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Well Jess, now we know you . You have well presented yourself here. I am half expecting soon to hear that RP is better than ball screw and that HD alu profile gantry is stronger than steel one..
    What sort of steel are you talking about here? Heat treated stress relieved steel.. by far much stronger. Mild steel simply welded up and painted that will change shape over the years then going on its working life span, Aluminum will retain shape and last longer if built well. Hense why production machines always use heat treated steel or aluminum, but you still see people forking out thousands building machines from mild steel obviously going off your assumption, knowing one day they might wake up to find their machine is jammed.
    Last edited by Jon.; 08-06-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
    What sort of steel are you talking about here? Heat treated stress relieved steel.. by far much stronger. Mild steel simply welded up and painted that will change shape over the years then going on its working life span, Aluminum will retain shape and last longer if built well. Hense why production machines always use heat treated steel or aluminum, but you still see people forking out thousands building machines from mild steel obviously going off your assumption, knowing one day they might wake up to find their machine is jammed.
    I will reply in you build thread, cause I see you took that personally. I am also making machines from aluminum just right now.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I had experience of USB a few years back and it was not good, in fact I think the whole USB thing is a scam. The idea was good, every USB device had it's own unique ID number, you plugged it in , the computer asked, "What are you", it replied. "I am a 12345B". The computer searches itself for the driver named "12345B" and runs it. If it cannot find 12345B it asks you where it should look.

The unique ID numbers are free, but, you have to join the USB club before they can be given to you and joining the club is hideously expensive.

To get around that manufacturers used a loophole, instead of coming up and saying, "I am a Model J CNC Controller from Choppit Ltd" they come up and say, "I am a Windows device, usually a serial port or a disk drive". The Choppit CNC control software then has to rummage among the available ports and drives looking for it's controller.

USB does not usually shine because for CNC it is fettered by all sorts of 3rd party software impersonating other things. There was a company called something like "Metrologie" who joined the club and sold their unique ID's at around 10 for £120. They got stomped on PDQ but cheap ID's are still out there if you look

Location unknown. Jon. Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    lol.. you what?? so you went on to get ethernet from the tackle shop yeah?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Jon, you do realise silyavski was taking the michael?
    Although I'm not sure about ballscrews being better than RP...

He might have been but he had just made a patronizing comment about heavy aluminum on a thread of mine seconds before he wrote that one.
    Last edited by Jon.; 08-06-2015 at 11:09 AM.

He might have been but he had just made a patronizing comment about heavy aluminum on a thread of mine seconds before he wrote that one.
    I don't see anything patronizing about his comments. There is a bit of misunderstanding due to Silyavski's English, but both his suggestions were valid given the information provided before those posts.
    Last edited by m_c; 08-06-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Jon,
    it was a suggestion, not patronizing. I saw the need to say to you about strengthening the gantry at glance. But plus that, i spend 2 hours at least thinking about your problem, your machine strength and making calculations, comparing your alu profile data and transferring that data to find the comparative steel profile, then i started calculating deflection and so on...

If you feel i am not right, just ignore what i said, anyway its not an attack or anything personal
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information