. .
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Sorry wasn't ignoring you I went out last night.!
    Ok well looking at the manual the Motors use Resolvers rather than Encoders and the Drives simulate encoder output so resolution will depend on how the drives are set.
    The Ratio is simply if there are any pulleys or gearbox's involved. If not then ignore.

Goto Homing and Limits and Click reversed.
    Thanks, appreciate you have more to do than just to help me (and others) ;p

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    JazzCNC, what process do you use to PID tune the motors?

Do you use the 'auto tune' feature in the plugin config?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I tried to get Z to PID tune but its not happy and the mill starts to move the other axis without me asking. Odd. Not sure if I am getting some cross talk on the wires, ive checked all the wires a few times.
    Have you tried Reversing the Encoder signal in the Plug-in.? This would cause false movement of Z axis but not sure it would affect others but possible so worth trying.!

Have you tried Reversing the Encoder signal in the Plug-in.? This would cause false movement of Z axis but not sure it would affect others but possible so worth trying.!
    Ill try again this week. I need a new 24V PSU first. So both X and Y are reversed, otherwise they do not respond properly. Might be that Z needs to be set to normal, perhaps an assumption that they would all be the same.

JazzCNC, what process do you use to PID tune the motors?

Do you use the 'auto tune' feature in the plugin config?
    In all honesty I've very little experience with IP-A or Analog drives or motors with Resolvers which will make a difference to PID setup.
    My motors are Brushed DC with Tacho's and Real Encoders which makes a difference to your setup. My drives PID was set up already for the Velocity/Current and the IP-A Autotune did a good Job with position so little to no tweaking required.

I would think that because your drives where already setup then you'll be in a similar position with Velocity/Current setup in the drive so using the Auto tune in IP-A would get you close. Then it's just a case of playing with IP-A PID settings to get nice stable smooth movement.

Ill try again this week. I need a new 24V PSU first. So both X and Y are reversed, otherwise they do not respond properly. Might be that Z needs to be set to normal, perhaps an assumption that they would all be the same.
    Erm fatal.!!. . . Assume Nothing.!! . . . But yes I'd have done the same. . Lol

In all honesty I've very little experience with IP-A or Analog drives or motors with Resolvers which will make a difference to PID setup.
    My motors are Brushed DC with Tacho's and Real Encoders which makes a difference to your setup. My drives PID was set up already for the Velocity/Current and the IP-A Autotune did a good Job with position so little to no tweaking required.

I would think that because your drives where already setup then you'll be in a similar position with Velocity/Current setup in the drive so using the Auto tune in IP-A would get you close. Then it's just a case of playing with IP-A PID settings to get nice stable smooth movement.
    Thanks. Considering the mill was working before, the drives should be setup correctly. The 'output' from the drive is as if it was an encoder. The drive takes the resolver input and converts it to encoder type for the controller.

I have a question too around cabling whilst I try and find out what could cause any funny issues.

I am using Cat 5 cable for the encoder and ref signals. So, its shielded, its 8 core + the outer core.

The drawings I have show that the -10 to +10V run in their own shield. Currently I am sharing this common cable for - 10 to + 10 plus the encoder feedback. Is this a problem? I dont mind splitting them but dont want to buy cable I dont need.

Thanks

Thanks. Considering the mill was working before, the drives should be setup correctly. The 'output' from the drive is as if it was an encoder. The drive takes the resolver input and converts it to encoder type for the controller.
    Yes agreed but you'll still need to tune the Controller for position so use the IP-A Autotune and tweak settings if motors are twitchy etc..

I have a question too around cabling whilst I try and find out what could cause any funny issues.

I am using Cat 5 cable for the encoder and ref signals. So, its shielded, its 8 core + the outer core.

The drawings I have show that the -10 to +10V run in their own shield. Currently I am sharing this common cable for - 10 to + 10 plus the encoder feedback. Is this a problem? I dont mind splitting them but dont want to buy cable I dont need.

Thanks
    Yes I'd separate them.

Also make sure your Grounding is correct and all Shields going to Star Ground point.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-06-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Yes agreed but you'll still need to tune the Controller for position so use the IP-A Autotune and tweak settings if motors are twitchy etc..

Yes I'd separate them.

Also make sure your Grounding is correct and all Shields going to Star Ground point.!
    Not using 3 phase, I know that some will consider Neutral as Earth in single phase (country specific), is that the case here?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Neutral is not earth In the UK the earth is bonded to the neutral in most cases but not always.
    The ground in your case is a central point where all the screens and ground are connected together in one place (star point) and that point in connected to the general earth connection. This is to try and stop ground loops. ..Clive

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information