. .
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Give me a link to the driver that you ordered.
    Also did you get an email form them to say that it will work with the CS labs controller? I find it strange that a servo driver that accepts +/-10V and works with a resolver would not have emulated encoder output.
    Thanks.

http://granitedevices.com/digital-servo-drive-argon

http://granitedevices.com/w/images/f...gonFlyerA4.pdf

http://granitedevices.com/wiki/ARGON_Servo_Drive

It does do some level of encoder output, but you have to add additional circuitry.

This is explained here:-

http://granitedevices.com/wiki/Argon_EXT_connector

Due to my lack of knowledge (at the time, not that I am now wise ;p), the drive cannot do differential encoder output. The seller of the drive (nice kit otherwise) indicated it can be done but not only do I need to solder into the drive to connect this EXT connector, I will need additional electronics. I believe (if I am not mistaken) that his method to create 'differential' was simply to invert the signals and present them for use. My understanding of differentials is that one of the reasons we use these is for error checking. If one of the feeds looks 'bad', it will compare it to the opposite one. Duplicating it is not exactly helpful as this wont work in this case.

At least, that is my understanding.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I am not sure if my lack of knowledge has been the issue here. In both cases I forwarded the seller both the IRT 1306 drive manual as well as the CS Labs manual to show exactly what I needed. I therefore assumed that the drive would work as I required.

My first email to them:-

"Hi,

I have had damage to my IRT 1306 drives. I have managed to repair 2 of them but the 3rd remains faulty.

The motor runs with revolvers.

http://shop.granitedevices.com/produ...vo-drive-argon

I believe that your driver should work. Do you have a single unit in stock? How quickly could you get this to me in the UK?

There are 2 resellers selling them but a 25-50% markup is not cool.

Please help.

Thanks"

Their response (removed their contact details):-

"Hi Charl,

Thank you for your inquiry!

We have few Argons kept in UK warehouse stock for urgent cases. Please let me know if the need is urgent and I can arrange you one.

Best Regards
    Granite Devices Oy Finland, www.granitedevices.com"

My response to this:-

"Yes, please !!!

Can you just quickly confirm that this should work with my current system? It uses IRT 1306 drives with resolver input. That drive then outputs as encoder output which is then taken by the CS Labs controller. Ive attached the drive specsheet for info.

What do you need from me to process this and arrange postage for tomorrow or Saturday at worst?

Thanks
    "

And their response again:-

"Hi Charl,

We can ship today with express courier if ordered ASAP and it would probably deliver tomorrow (but there is always uincertainty if it makes there in one day, or if theyre is saturday delivery option).

I quickly checked the pdf and the drive looks quite close to Argon. Do you require also encoder output from the drive? This feature in Argon has few limitations, see: http://granitedevices.com/wiki/Argon_EXT_connector

I hope to hear from you soon!"

Obviously I have missed something from the thread. What CS labs board are you using and why you close the loop in the board and not in the drives? Why would you need at all the drive to output encoder signal to the board?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Obviously I have missed something from the thread. What CS labs board are you using and why you close the loop in the board and not in the drives? Why would you need at all the drive to output encoder signal to the board?
    Im using the CS Labs IP-A.

My original drives are IRT 1306. They take motor resolver feedback to work and then output an emulated differential encoder output which the CS Labs unit needs to know where the motor is in terms of position.

4. Looking at his email, it looks like he left it up to you to read through the specification sheet to see if it will work or not.
    Looking at the details on the encoder output, this is very poor and not even a connector accessible form the outside of the box, so will require going into the driver and connecting to the ABZ, but this is only 3.3V and also very unacceptable to esd and electrical noise.
    If is was just a single ended encoder output with a good 5V signal and a connector on the outside of the box, then this would not be a problem, by connecting a standard board to convert from single ended to differential.
    If you want me to put something on paper i can do.
    It makes absolutely no sense to have a good driver like this being limited by no differential encoder output.

Looking at his email, it looks like he left it up to you to read through the specification sheet to see if it will work or not.
    Looking at the details on the encoder output, this is very poor and not even a connector accessible form the outside of the box, so will require going into the driver and connecting to the ABZ, but this is only 3.3V and also very unacceptable to esd and electrical noise.
    If is was just a single ended encoder output with a good 5V signal and a connector on the outside of the box, then this would not be a problem, by connecting a standard board to convert from single ended to differential.
    If you want me to put something on paper i can do.
    It makes absolutely no sense to have a good driver like this being limited by no differential encoder output.
    Thanks. Agreed. I like the drive, its nice kit. I love the open source idea but its not what I needed.
    It feels like I bought a car with an Aircon and then when it doesn't work, I get told to have some pipes and gas installed to make it work.

Appreciate if you can draft something up for me and sent it across.

Many thanks.

6. emailed you back.

emailed you back.
    Thanks, appreciated.

Quick update time.

Machine is running but I need to do more tweaking. Need to recheck the PID control but generally fairly happy. Taken most of the backlash out both mechanically and with Mach 3.

Needed to move the mill but no method available. The engine hoist I bought isnt wide enough. Got an idea to buy some heavy duty castor wheels. Tried to fit them but the metal I wanted to put them on was too flimsy. Came up with a good plan, had some 20mm Alu plate for something else but milled myself 4 plates to basically mate the wheels to the load bearing beams, using the original shafts.

Some pics below, the CNC has now been moved to the location I wanted it in the garage. Last pic is of a new X plate but I ended up having a problem with it, so it wont be used.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150809_114025.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	15860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150808_184521.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	15861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150808_171755.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	15862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150806_132047 (1).jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	15863  

I wanted to thank a few people that have made this conversion possible. Its not 100% complete but mostly there. Still need to get ATC working and build a new control panel.

JazzCNC
    i2i
    Gary from Zapp (please support him)

There have been others too but I would not have completed this conversion without their help.

Many thanks.

Can you post some pics of the ATC parts. I have a (I think) similiar machine with Pickup ATC and know what you need for this part. IIRC aou want to buy 110V solenoids for the pneumatic harness. I would better use only 24V, you can them
    connect directly to the PLC output (if the amperage of the Output is enough)

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information