. .

Thread: bridgeport

Not quite sure where to post this, for now... I guess here will do

new toy!. another freebie.. albeit moving it involved beer tokens for literally all the blokes I know.

but its at home now... I also have the "shaper" attachment for the back.

Id like to convert it to CNC ??? thoughts? which I guess will involve ballscrew conversion, maybe servos? If anybody can advise me of any threads showing cnc conversion Id be appreciative.

Likewise if anybody can offer any advise, on how Im going to get it working... (its three phase).. although I hear the "pancake motor" can be run off a vfd...

hope you are all well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	15671  

Nice toy!!! No advice to offer on how to get it working or CNC it but I'm sure others will....knowing the speed you do things it'll be working and CNC'd in the next 4 weeks.....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    new toy!. another freebie.. albeit moving it involved beer tokens for literally all the blokes I know.
    How many free machines is that now!

Id like to convert it to CNC ??? thoughts?
    I'd advise 'getting to know it' as a manual machine first. Assuming it's in a working mode - X screw looks like it might be missing? That way when you convert it to CNC you'll have a much better idea of what settings (feedrates etc) to use and will likely break less as a result.

The tricky one is converting the knee (Z) to CNC. I spy a rotating nut...

Likewise if anybody can offer any advise, on how Im going to get it working... (its three phase).. although I hear the "pancake motor" can be run off a vfd...
    Find the nameplate on the motor and see what the ratings are - i.e. voltage and power. Or just post a picture of the nameplate here.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 07-07-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

X leadscrew is present. just not fitted. I removed it for transportation

Don't have a thread but can help. I converted my KRV 2000 to CNC not to long ago. I reused as much of the leadscrew mounting bits as I could and it went quickly.

You have an older bridgeport model that does not have central oiling and that is one thing I would consider essential for the health of the ballscrews at least.

My first suggestion is think of a budget of at least £1500-2000 for the conversion if you want a professional quality machine.

The donut motors should run fine on the inverter (VFD) if you get one that is rated to the HP of the motor.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think I have read that some people motor the quill and leave the knee. I can see that this will become an interesting thread.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information