. .
    I recently converted my Booxford160 to pc operation with a LOT of help from a forum member. I finally got it to work ok . So i put a job in the chuck that was an odd shape and went a bit too fast. The result was spectacular the machine vibrated that much the reversing contactor shorted and blew the rectifier in the speed controller with quite a big bang. I got a new reversing contactor quite cheap on e bay and the rectifier was quite easy to replace but all is not well with the motor. It sparks and smells so i stopped it . i tried a treadmill motor but it starts ok and then immediately stops . So does any body know how much it is to rewind the lenze 500 watt motor or has any body got one for sale.Any advice at all will be most helpful .thanks
    Last edited by keith wainwright; 16-07-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Boxford themselves advertise a replacement main motor for £243, plus VAT presumably.

http://www.boxford-software.com/spar...MotorMain.html

Adrian

The motors for 125 & 160 are listed as the same part, I've got a fully working 125 I'm planning to convert to 3 phase shortly, part of the plan was stripping out the motor and control circuitry & bunging it on ebay but I'm open to offers, drop me a PM if you're interested

- Nick

Hey Magiciner, sorry to dredge up a old thread. Did you ever convert your tcl to 3ph? Im looking to do the same. I'm starting to think about what motor to use for size and how to fit that to the pulley belt system. very early days this end but i'd love to see what someone else has done for inspiration, intersting to see the boxford part above too.

I am currently bringing to life my boxford lathe and going to put in a Yaskawa J1000 VFD now I am looking for a dual voltage motor but don't want to spend much... I am from Yorkshire by the way so not too expensive

That was a long time ago . I replaced the motor with a flange mounted 3 phase 1.5 kw motor mounted on the rear of the cabinet. I then fitted the VFD inside the cabinet. The motor drove only one pulley and had enough power to do all speeds necessary. I have since done 4 like this and all sold no problem .Works much better than Boxford's effort.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to keith wainwright For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by keith wainwright View Post
    That was a long time ago . I replaced the motor with a flange mounted 3 phase 1.5 kw motor mounted on the rear of the cabinet. I then fitted the VFD inside the cabinet. The motor drove only one pulley and had enough power to do all speeds necessary. I have since done 4 like this and all sold no problem .Works much better than Boxford's effort.

Did you manufacture the mounting yourself?

I modified the motor mount from the machine . I fitted spacers to fit the motor and fit the pully to the motor shaft . The spacers push the motor out so the pully lines up. the motor pully guard is cut to cover the new motor that is now on the outside of the machine . Sounds a bodge but it looks and works quite well . I use TEC 2.2 KW 3 Phase 2 pole Motor 230/400V 50HZ Foot Mount 3 phase B14 mount. got the motor slightly wrong in last post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	28024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	28025
    Last edited by keith wainwright; 30-04-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Lenz motors the best

Thread Information