. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I am a semi retired marine grease monkey who makes ends meet by doing the odd agri repair.
    I have been considering a plasma table for a while now but I really cant justify £10K plus for a turn key unit so the idea is to build one, besides that the information on this site is excellent and I will enjoy doing it.
    Initially I was thinking along the lines of a full sized table (as I have the space) but to be honest a 1250 x 1250 will do everything I will require.
    Now, before I go and do a man thing and try to re-invent the wheel and design my own (we always know better) can anyone recommend a certain type or a good set of plans (I dont mind paying for a good set).
    I know I am going to have to upgrade my trusty 9 year old Ching Chong Cut50 with a newer machine, I am restricted a bit by the lack of three phase, bearing in mind I need to cut 12mm+ anyone got any suggestions?

Hi

I am in the middle of building a 1250 table, no plans, just a bit of cad and sketches ;)

I would look at Hypertherm for the plasma source, I tried others and had nothing but troubles. I have a PowerMax 45 now and that will do 1/2" ok

There's a lot of good help on the 'net.

take a read of all the build threads.
    a lot of good info on there.....

is the powermax 45 single phase or 3 phase.

cheers.

Thanks chaps, My problem is the lack of 3 phase (last quote 30k+ to install it) I don't think the Powermax 45 is big enough to cover all my needs (wants). I am thinking along the lines of the Tec Arc OptiCut 95 which comes as single phase and they quote some impressive cutting capacities. Does anyone know anything about them ?

Quote Originally Posted by linskill View Post
    Thanks chaps, My problem is the lack of 3 phase (last quote 30k+ to install it) I don't think the Powermax 45 is big enough to cover all my needs (wants). I am thinking along the lines of the Tec Arc OptiCut 95 which comes as single phase and they quote some impressive cutting capacities. Does anyone know anything about them ?
    Are you sure you want that exact machine? I have never heard of it but its 3 phase definetely, come on- its 90A machine.

Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics / Victo, Esab/ are the ones that could deliver thickest cut on 1 phase. For thicker than 12mm i will definitely not experiment with other machines

PS. Ok i see i was wrong they say run on 1 phase on their web site, claiming to be the only one. Which is not the case as their cutter is similar to Powermax85 which also could run on 1 phase if i am not mistaken.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 27-07-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I heard that Hypertherm was the bees knees on that American CNC site, but it is a lot cheaper over there. Is one torch for all thicknesses the problem with the cheaper cutters. Maybe a low power fine jet torch for thin sheet and something altogether fatter for plate is the missing ingredient?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Are you sure you want that exact machine? I
    At the moment I am not sure of anything - more research needed.
    As I said earlier I do a lot of agri repairs, some of the material is quite heavy and to be able to quickly cut a replacement part would be a real bonus. Today's job was a good example, a buck rake came in with a damaged Merlo Hitch (30mm plate, How it got so bent I will probably never know) but that meant a 50mile round trip to get a new one.
    The only thing I know for sure is that if I am going to shell out the necessary to build a CNC table scrimping on the cutter is probably false economy and being a male of the species I want the biggest I can get on single phase.

Thread Information