. .

Thread: Spindle 2?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent bargain, they are good inverters, not really any bad modern ones about.
    Mitsubishi's can be a pig in that they often sell the programming panel and filters seperate so it adds up to ££££.

You should have no problem with this one.

John S -

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Phew, thats a relief, I didnt even google the manufacturer (not like me), saw it and had to go out, so put £50 on it just in case.

What would be a safe motor rating to use with it? Or will the instructions tell me...

Technically anything up to 1 HP but most can be programmed for 150% overload safely so it will run a 1 1/2 HP but may trip under hard load.

I have one of the 1 1/2Hp Chinese spindles here running off a 0.55Kw [ 3/4HP ] IMO Cub inverter, the cheap one, programmed for 150% overload and it runs fine with up to 6mm cutter in it.

Been running test cycles with this for about 4 hours, non stop at 24,000 rpm and no problem although it is a bit small and I wouldn't recommend it for continuous use or any larger cutter.
    John S -

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I have one of the 1 1/2Hp Chinese spindles here running off a 0.55Kw [ 3/4HP ] IMO Cub inverter, the cheap one, programmed for 150% overload and it runs fine with up to 6mm cutter in it.

Been running test cycles with this for about 4 hours, non stop at 24,000 rpm and no problem although it is a bit small and I wouldn't recommend it for continuous use or any larger cutter.
    Cheers, Thanks for all the good advice. Now I know that the VFD/ inverters are affordable I will probablly forget the high rpm spindle and just use a router for wood, ( should keep Kip happy:nope:)Machine mart have a 2200W ali based one for £90 ish, Should be able to deal with Maple and such like

Kip,
    You only need to get the stator wound, the rotor is just an alloy and iron lamination.
    You can even get standard motors rewound from 2 pole 3,000 rpm at 50 hz to 12,000 rpm at 200 hz without then going pear shaped.

You need to work on the spindle as regards tool holding etc and front bearings but it can be done.

Just a teaser

John S -

I wouldn't know a piece of Maple if you hit me with it
    Tempting..:heehee:

Kip,
    You only need to get the stator wound, the rotor is just an alloy and iron lamination.
    You can even get standard motors rewound from 2 pole 3,000 rpm at 50 hz to 12,000 rpm at 200 hz without then going pear shaped.

You need to work on the spindle as regards tool holding etc and front bearings but it can be done.

Just a teaser
    How, where and how much????
    No problem with bearings and tool holder as I'm going to use dedicated spindle with ER32 collet chuck and then just use different motors to drive it

Oi I'll start taking the piss.... :naughty:
    Bring it on.....
    breaks the monotomy of dullards like me asking stupid questions all the time

Picked up a 3ph motor today, have been told it works but want to know if there is a way to test the motor before powering it up and possibly damaging the vfd.

The motor is 0.75kw, 2800rpm and 230v if wired in star config.

Cheers in advance

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Picked up a 3ph motor today, have been told it works but want to know if there is a way to test the motor before powering it up and possibly damaging the vfd.

The motor is 0.75kw, 2800rpm and 230v if wired in star config.

Cheers in advance
    You wont damage the VFD, it'll just trip out. Just set it for a low speed before hitting run...

I just picked up a IMO Cub CDS 0.75kW inverter ( for £35! I'm sure the guy had put it on wrong, £30 initial price £35 Buy It Now... so I did! Found the manual on the net too...

So now I can run the lathe and mill independently...

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    All sorts, some generic Taiwanese el cheapo ones, IMO's Telemechaniques, Yaskawa and Fuji.
    Motor powers from 0.25 Hp up to 7.5 Hp

Technically horse power is horsepower regardless of single or three phase, what does alter is the amount of amps pulled to get this power.
    However the 3 phase goes come out on top as getting 3 pulses per rev it doesn't bog down as much as a single phase motor with one pulse per rev when a load is applied.

They are smoother, less vibration and with a VFD the 3 phase can have speed control, something the single phase one can't have.

I'd also recommend Yaskawa & FUJI. I wouldn't recommend ABB to anybody.

Has anybody worked with Yaskawa's latest drive?

http://www.clrwtr.com/Yaskawa-A1000-Drives.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information