. .

Thread: Spindle 2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hi all
    Any one used the spindle 2 board? For £20 + speed controller, it looks like a good option for controlling routers etc

Is a VFD and 3 phase motor worth the money?

Yes used a few of them, Roy developed them initially for us as the Sieg and the American KB controllers have the pot at mains potential.
    Just wiring straight in using the same logic supply as the rest of the breakout / driver system causes lovely bright multi coloured sparks and bangs [ don't ask ]

Like all of Roy's boards I have used, they have worked with no problems and done what it says on the box which isn't hard as they don't come in a box.

John S -

3. I have a VFD and 3phase on the lathe, and since it accommodates two motors I plan to change the mill to a 3phase and run both off the same VFD (not at the same time of course!)

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Cheers guys , what VFDs and power motors are you using, Am I correct in assuming that a 3ph motor is more powerful? or is that only when they are run at 415 volts?

All sorts, some generic Taiwanese el cheapo ones, IMO's Telemechaniques, Yaskawa and Fuji.
    Motor powers from 0.25 Hp up to 7.5 Hp

Technically horse power is horsepower regardless of single or three phase, what does alter is the amount of amps pulled to get this power.
    However the 3 phase goes come out on top as getting 3 pulses per rev it doesn't bog down as much as a single phase motor with one pulse per rev when a load is applied.

They are smoother, less vibration and with a VFD the 3 phase can have speed control, something the single phase one can't have.

John S -

They are smoother, less vibration and with a VFD the 3 phase can have speed control, something the single phase one can't have.
    I thougt you can control the speed of a 1ph motor with a triac based controller. seen them for about £10

Do these only control the speed and therefore have reduced power as well?

Seen a couple of VFDs on ebay for £150. dose this seem about right?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I thougt you can control the speed of a 1ph motor with a triac based controller. seen them for about £10

Do these only control the speed and therefore have reduced power as well?
    Only if they are PM motors (permanent magnet). 1ph motors with AC field coils cannot be controlled this way as they are synchronous to the AC input frequency. PM motors are low-fractional HP output.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Seen a couple of VFDs on ebay for £150. dose this seem about right?
    Thats about right for a sub-1kw (.5 - 1HP) VFD. You must match the VFD to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    All sorts, some generic Taiwanese el cheapo ones, IMO's Telemechaniques, Yaskawa and Fuji.
    Motor powers from 0.25 Hp up to 7.5 Hp

Technically horse power is horsepower regardless of single or three phase, what does alter is the amount of amps pulled to get this power.
    However the 3 phase goes come out on top as getting 3 pulses per rev it doesn't bog down as much as a single phase motor with one pulse per rev when a load is applied.

I'd also recommend Yaskawa & FUJI. I wouldn't recommend ABB to anybody.

Has anybody worked with Yaskawa's latest drive?

http://www.clrwtr.com/Yaskawa-A1000-Drives.htm

9. It's always worth looking at a 415-440vac one (just use a step-up transformer and a 440v motor like my lathe - the 1.5kw one I bought for <£20, and a spare for a tenner ) or, 240v ones that are described as three phase input (since almost all will work with single phase input).

Thread Information