. .
    Lives in Bedford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 22.
    Hi everyone,
    I've hit a hurdle with the refit of my Conect Contour Major mill. It is fitted with the Coventry 'Easy Change' system. The toolholders for this are very expensive and the chuck protrudes a long way from the spindle. On a machine with a very modest Z travel this is quite limiting and I would like to remove it.
    Unfortunately I can't work out how to get the b****y thing off! I've attached a few pictures of each end of the spindle and if any kind soul could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

At the top of the spindle assembly is a bar with flats for a spanner. I originally thought that this might be the drawbar but now I'm not so sure. The hole in the top of it is blind to about 10mm, it doesn't go through the assembly. There is a dust seal at the bottom of the picture, which I imagine wouldn't normally be around a drawbar because you'd expect it to move up and down?

At the bottom there is nothing obvious to release the holder

There is one circlip here (sorry, bad photo), but I can't see that being relevant because there's no way a circlip could give the required force to pull the holder into the spindle taper. I suspect that this is part of the toolholder chuck itself to retain the release collar.

Both easychange holders currently sold by coventry have a tapped hole at the top for a drawbar and I can't see how it can be anything other than retained from the top with a drawbar. But try as I may I can't get the thing to unscrew with a spanner at the top and a strapwrench around the collar at the bottom. The machine was pretty gummed up when I got it so it might just be stuck on hard but I'm hesitant to try anything more aggresive until I'm sure that I'm applying force to the right bits.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-28 09.01.18.jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	15718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-28 09.01.23.jpg 
Views:	1035 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	15719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-28 09.01.30.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	15720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-28 09.01.38.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	15721  

Lives in Bedford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 22.
    Just to say I finally worked this out. The adapter has a threaded bolt at the back of the taper, so if you remove the tool and then reach up inside the chuck with an allen key you can unscrew it and get it off.

I've received my new macine with the same coventry system. There is a brass button and if i press these, i can turn the ring some 1/4 revolution, but nothing further happens. What must i do, to remove the Toolholder inserts.
    Last edited by uli12us; 02-11-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Because the tool holders are on a taper they can be a little sticky, it's not always easy but turn the ring to it's limit of travel and bump the holder, I just bump with my palm and the holder will usually release.

- Nick

Thanks I'll try it tomorrow.

Ok, thanks, it works. I have removed it with a small rubber hammer.
    It was a bit rusty.

The System isn't really bad, only very expensive. If I see it right, its 4 times the price of a BT30 toolholder. If one have a lathe, then he can turn the taper to 10° from a BT30, who have the same max Diametre. After that, it needs the recess for the clampballs.

Thread Information