. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alright, moving forward with the assembled and complete gantry (Y axis, Z axis and gantry sides). I still need to mirror the right gantry side but that's a detail compared to the amount of hours I put into making the sides and assembling everything. Solidworks can be a pain sometimes, and the 2GB RAM of my good old HP laptop are starting to struggle a bit.

Gantry weight is calculated to 39 kg without the second gantry side (@toomast: this is strange, but I've checked again that parts were set to the correct material, may be I can PM you the model and you can check if I have done something wrong ?). The Y axis is securely fastened to the gantry sides and contributes quite a lot to its rigidity.

Assembled gantry with sides and Z.

Gantry side with motor mounted on left side plate. Notice the extruded cut in the Y axis front plate to make room for the motor.

Gantry side. Y axis is fixed at 14 points. Weirdly, I had rendered this with fasteners showing, but they did not appear on the render.

General remarks:

1. I got a quote from my seller. He is asking for $886 for the following (shipping not included):
      - 2 x 2400mm HIWIN 20 rail
      - 2 x 1600mm HIWIN 20 rail
      - 2 x 700mm HIWIN 20 rail
      - 4 x HGH20CA blocks
      - 8 x HGW20CA blocks

Shipping is not included because he does not know how to ship the 2400mm rails. He said the maximum length is 2000mm, but he will be looking for other ways to ship. Does anyone know if it is possible to assemble two HIWIN rails to make one (kind of like @routercnc suggested for round rails) ? I would be worried about the moment where the blocks slide on the junction...

Let's say we find a solution for shipping. You're looking a $1100 at least. Trying the round rails first is just a must now. Unless one of you guys is willing to sponsor me , I'm ready to sacrifice machine quality to the price of 1000 Euros with which I will gladly go on a vacation with my girlfriend .
    2. I haven't gotten a fastener count yet but once the X axis is added I will post one. I think we're looking at 150 bolts and nuts. X axis will most likely add another 100. But I'm being very generous on these numbers so don't take me at my word.
    3. Great surprise... DHL taxes for the leadscrews have arrived today ... That's and additional cost of $70.
    4. Spindle has shipped yesterday night and is on its way, first class on FedEx airlines . Taxes for that package will be cheaper of course, I'm guessing around $40.

Next steps:

1. Finish the model (X axis, bed, limit switches, spindle clamp holes). The X axis will be modeled like the Y and Z axis with integrated shaft supports and fasteners. The bed will be made of 100x100mm square steel profile rails, I think (because it's just cheaper and faster to make, assemble and weld, as there are no complicated parts / holes / cuts).
    2. Make DXF files and send them to different cutters for quotes (i'll take the cheapest). Cutting will be done with a .04mm maximum tolerance (anything better is a plus but not a must).
    3. Order AM882 (200€).
    4. Make PSU (100€).
    5. Put it all together !
    6. Configure, test and report precision :)

After modeling for 20 hours in the past two days, and writing this post for one more hour, I think I've deserved a break, so I'll go make myself a mojito now.
    Cheers !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantry_side_2.JPG 
Views:	1158 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	15931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantry_side.JPG 
Views:	1123 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	15932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantry.JPG 
Views:	1113 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	15933  

Thread Information