. .
    for cutting solid/soft wood (all sorts) and plastic and aluminium what spindle should i be looking at to buy?

cheers

ash

I have the 1.5kW water cooled Chinese spindle with matching invertor/VFD and it will cut those materials . But the max collet size is 1/4 inch (just over 6mm). So I would go for the 2.2 kW spindle which goes up to about 1/2" collet size.
    You can go air cooled but there is some noise from the fan and a minimum running speed I seem to remember so most people go with the water cooled one.
    Cheap cnc machines sometime come with a small DC motor type but these don't get great reviews on here (no personal experience)
    What machine are you fitting it to? Or is that not decided ?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

not sure on final build of machine yet but was looking at the water cooled 4kw on bay for £500 would that be more then enough?

cheers

ash

Most people on here go for the 2.2 kW model as it will cut all those materials and you can fit a range of cutters. 4kW sounds too much as it will be heavy and you are paying a lot for it. 2.2 can be bought for around £200 or so including VFD delivered.
    But you might have other things in mind or be looking at high volumes or something. You can probably run at lower speeds as you'll have more torque. I think Sylavski has a 3kW spindle so he may have a view on that kind of power. Wait for a second opinion before deciding but it seems a bit high for what you need.

Noticed there is a spindle for sale on here which has an ER16 which is useful. Make them an offer ?. . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

thanks router :)

4KW is also at the point where you probably need a dedicated 16A feed. 2.2KW runs happily off a standard 13A socket.

I would go with a 2.2kw spindle. that's a nice trade between power and cost.

They have them for a good price on AliExpress:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Water...041841053.html

thanks guys seems 2.2kw it is :)

FYI, if you want to buy the kit I gave you the link, you get get it for $400 round if you contact Kevin Ho at ROB BEARING AND MECHANICAL PARTS. They don't have it in store but they will order the parts for you. You can buy yourself a beer with those $40 ;) :D Mine will be shipping in the next few days !

Thread Information