1. #1
    Hi guys new to the forum but not new too cnc machines . Well programming them anyway. I currently program a 5axis bermaq and 5axis scam chronos. But I wanna go on my own cnc . Big question what's the best desktop cnc I could buy. Cheapish would be good . I'll only really be cutting foam . Because that's what I do anyway . Thank you all. Seems a well cool place this

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by fbiiburton View Post
    Big question what's the best desktop cnc I could buy.
    Firstly welcome to the forum! Yes it's a well cool place....well sometimes

    If I may say so your statement above is a bit contradictory, the best you can get will almost certainly not be the cheapest! A few questions if I may...

    What's your budget?
    What size do you need?
    What sort of foam shapes are you cutting, for what application?
    What sort of accuracy do you need?
    What sort of finish do you need?
    How quick do you need the machine to cut them, will there be lots or just one offs?
    Are you looking to just buy or are you open to making your own machine?

    If you want cheap then they don't come much cheaper than a Chinese 3040, 6040, 9060 or other size...but you'll need to go through it and make some changes/tweaks etc to get it working OK.
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Firstly welcome to the forum! Yes it's a well cool place....well sometimes

    If I may say so your statement above is a bit contradictory, the best you can get will almost certainly not be the cheapest! A few questions if I may...

    What's your budget?
    What size do you need?
    What sort of foam shapes are you cutting, for what application?
    What sort of accuracy do you need?
    What sort of finish do you need?
    How quick do you need the machine to cut them, will there be lots or just one offs?
    Are you looking to just buy or are you open to making your own machine?

    If you want cheap then they don't come much cheaper than a Chinese 3040, 6040, 9060 or other size...but you'll need to go through it and make some changes/tweaks etc to get it working OK.

    Hi there.
    You are right there was a little late I guess.
    My budget is upto £1000
    Tolerance 10thou
    Dimensions 400x400x100
    Quite intricate work, sculptures which I will split first . Mainly foam but upto 300kg model board
    Apologies for the short reply ,I'm on my phone ( hate using it for forums)

  4. #4
    Hmm well I think you're going to struggle to get a 400 x 400 x 100 off the shelf router for £1000, £2,500 and you might just be OK. You'd also struggle to build one for that sort of money.....
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Hmm well I think you're going to struggle to get a 400 x 400 x 100 off the shelf router for £1000, £2,500 and you might just be OK. You'd also struggle to build one for that sort of money.....

    Oh right so I need to rethink the z then?

  6. #6
    You could get a Stepcrafe S600 for just under £1000.....did a quick Google here http://stoneycnc.co.uk/prices/
    Neil...

    Build log...here

Similar Threads

  1. desktop CNC to cut alloy
    By 8900120d in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-07-2013, 06:45 PM
  2. Desktop cnc, HELP
    By Walkz69 in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  3. CNC Desktop Lathe
    By yadu in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-01-2011, 11:07 AM
  4. FOR SALE: Desktop Router
    By j4son in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •