. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello all, I have a basic question on wiring up my limit switches.

The leadshine MX3660 has 4 inputs which are suitable for limit switches, but that tells me that i can basically only have 4 limit switches total? ie X-, X+, Y-, Y+. So how do I set up limit switches for Z- and Z+?

Clive did mention on my my other thread that he just uses 1 limit switch per axis (ie X-, Y- and Z-) and uses them to home the machine, then rely on the soft limits to prevent crashing at the other end. Im happy to do that if I have to, but i would have thought a limit switch at each end would always be the safer option?

Thanks.

I believe you can wire all your limit switches in series (if you're using mechanical) and just use one input for limits. Then use one home switch for each axis.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I believe you can wire all your limit switches in series (if you're using mechanical) and just use one input for limits. Then use one home switch for each axis.
    Yes but you can do it with sensors as well but mechanical are mush easier to deal with I thought it showed you how to connect them in the manual.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Yes but you can do it with sensors as well but mechanical are mush easier to deal with I thought it showed you how to connect them in the manual.
    It does,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proxy wiring.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	15969

I just though I'd specify mechanical to stop people chiming in that you couldn't do it with sensors....you can it just adds a few ms on to the time it takes to sense the limit.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I didn't see anything in the manual about wiring up in series. I'll have another look tho because I often do miss things!

Thanks for the image Neil, however what does NPN and PNP mean?

Am I right in thinking then, that input 1 can be X home, input 2 is Y home, and input 3 is Z home. Then use input 4 for all the other limit switches in series?

Thanks everyone

If you are using Mach3 you can wire every homing switch in series, as Mach3 moves the axis until the switch is tripped and then back it to the untripped status. It Homes each axis separately in the order Z, Y, X (Z first to get the tool high and out of the way). Other CNC software may do similar, but I have only used Mach3.

Have a look at this article http://www.learningaboutelectronics....PNP-transistor . I presume that you are asking about limit switches, which can be regarded as transistor switches, although I am being a bit simplistic about it.

Cheers,

Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

I am using LinuxCNC but I've only just started out with it so I am unsure yet as to how it homes itself etc... It's all new to me tbh.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    I am using LinuxCNC but I've only just started out with it so I am unsure yet as to how it homes itself etc... It's all new to me tbh.
    Ok start with the basics are you using mechanical switches? Tell us in as much details where you are at and if you are using a mill or a router ..Clive
    ..Clive

I'm using mechanical switches, it's a small router that I'm using them on. Only a small working envelope (approx 250mm x 250mm x 75mm).

Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    I'm using mechanical switches, it's a small router that I'm using them on. Only a small working envelope (approx 250mm x 250mm x 75mm).
    Ok been busy all day. have you got the switches mounted on the machine if so a picture would help. Is it that you don't know how to set them up in Linux I am trying to get the gist of what you need to know. ..Clive
    ..Clive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information