. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry I admit I have been a bit vague.

My main issue was how to wire up 6 limit switches to only 4 inputs but after a bit more research I now realise there are multiple ways I can do it. Now I know that I can do multiple switches in a series I think I should be ok.

I should be ok with the linux bit as the stepconf wizard is nice and easy when setting up the parallel port pin id's. However if I'm wiring X+, Y+ and Z- in series then what option would I choose for that input?

The switches I'm using a only basic, in fact they probably aren't the best for my machine as they aren't lever type ones, just a small plunger. But they are all I could get my hands on for free!

The images show the limits mounted in x and y, I haven't yet mounted the z as I need to make a suitable bracket first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	15987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	15988  

My MD machine came with inductive home switches and they were mounted axial to the travel, so it was possible (and too damn easy !) to jog onto them and crush the sensor coil. So my first mod was to move 'em round 90degrees and make them bypass sensing (if that makes sense).
    I notice you say 6 limit switches. It is not usual to have a Z--, so why 6 ?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    Sorry I admit I have been a bit vague.

My main issue was how to wire up 6 limit switches to only 4 inputs but after a bit more research I now realise there are multiple ways I can do it. Now I know that I can do multiple switches in a series I think I should be ok.

I should be ok with the linux bit as the stepconf wizard is nice and easy when setting up the parallel port pin id's. However if I'm wiring X+, Y+ and Z- in series then what option would I choose for that input?

The switches I'm using a only basic, in fact they probably aren't the best for my machine as they aren't lever type ones, just a small plunger. But they are all I could get my hands on for free!

The images show the limits mounted in x and y, I haven't yet mounted the z as I need to make a suitable bracket first.
    Ok I would not use a limit switch on Z- just the home switch z+ at the top because there generally is no defined position because of tool length etc.
    Also be aware that if you do it in stepconfig and then edit the .ini file the file will be overwritten the next time you use stepconfig. hope this helps.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Ah right I understand about the Z- limit switch, of course that's not really needed then. And mounting the limit switches at 90° is a good idea too, think i may try that.

I think i know what i'm doing now, thanks very much for your help.

I have limits on all my axes, using mechanical ones without levers. I find the levers bend over time and can give slight variances to ones' home position and the work start position. This can be a problem, if doing repetitive cutting after etc.
    Depending on how one sets up the material in the cam programme and how you zero the Z axis on the table, can in the beginning, can result in having the Z dive into the spoilboard, if not paying attention to what one is doing.
    Putting on the limit for the Z axis can help in stopping it dive right through the spoilboard.
    I am using leadshines' mx 4660 with Mach3 and all limits wired in series.
    Most people seem to zero the Z to the top of their material. Easiest, especially when not cutting the full depth of the material.
    I started to zero to the spoilboard and mic the material each time before cutting to ensure that I do not cut into the spoilboard, adjusting the cam toolpath if needed. This way I have set the limit of the Z to 0.1/0.2 mm below the surface of the spoilboard.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    This way I have set the limit of the Z to 0.1/0.2 mm below the surface of the spoilboard.
    Not understanding what you are saying here. If you are saying that you use a Z- limit switch set to -Z .1 then how do you account for different tool lengths and still use the limit switch?
    ..Clive

I do not have an automatic tool changer and therefore have to zero the z each time a different bit is used. Zero-ing the z to the spoilboard each time. This effectively changes the amount of travel the z can make. The longer the bit the shorter the travel distance etc. I have approx. 150 mm of travel on the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by malgazz View Post
    I do not have an automatic tool changer and therefore have to zero the z each time a different bit is used. Zero-ing the z to the spoilboard each time. This effectively changes the amount of travel the z can make. The longer the bit the shorter the travel distance etc. I have approx. 150 mm of travel on the Z.
    Yes exactly. So how are you using a Z- limit switch to stop you from diving in to the spoil board?
    ..Clive

It does not prevent one diving into the spoilboard, just limits the amount of damage. I have found that sometimes care is not taken in setting up the toolpath on how the machine zero's on the Z axis. When setting up the material in the cam software, persons sometimes overlook where the Z is zeroing (top of material, or top of the spoilboard).
    It is some times confusing to some who are just starting out, that the Z homes reverse to the other axes and incorrectly apply how the machine zero's in their toolpath can inadvertly cause them to cut into the spoilboard.
    I sure helped me in the beginning. Subsequently have just left the limit in place, just in case.

It's just a Spoil board so what's the issue.? Spoil board is meant to cut into it's no big deal.

To Limit the end of travel makes sense if you can run the bearings or ballscrew off the end but just running a little deep into spoil board doesn't warrant limit switches and they can be more trouble than there worth on low end of Z axis.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-01-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information