. .

Thread: Stepper problem

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi everyone,

I tried wiring my old stepper, drivers, bob and psu yesterday and setting up Mach3. I can make the steppers move correctly from Mach3, but there's a horrible sound coming from the motors, accompanied with huge vibrations and noise:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOdE...ature=youtu.be

Can anyone tell me what is wrong :( ?

Electronics:
    - 5 axis bob v5
    - CW8020 drivers
    - nema 23 425oz
    - another chinese driver and motor (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEMA2...028971350.html)
    - 36V 9.7A PSU

The last driver + motor have been bought less than a month ago and make the same weird sound, which makes me think that the BOB is the issue. It's not just one motor that doesn't work, it's all of them.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Cheers !

EDIT:

- PSU tested, all outputs are good.
    Last edited by eurikain; 09-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    It's not just one motor that doesn't work, it's all of them.
    Which would likely indicate that your motors are fine and it's something further on up the chain. Have you double checked that your wiring's correct..? Yeah, a silly question but it's the silly things that often catch you out. Came across this vid on YouTube, guy puts his issues down to a burned out stepper controller (driver?). Are your drivers getting enough juice?

Anyway, just a couple of ideas - but like I say, don't overlook having done something silly. Check and double check...

Wal.

Pretty sure by the Sounds and jumping you have the motor phases wired wrong. This will be why they all make the same noise if wired the same.

How have you wired them Parallel or series. If you have a data sheet showing the motor wiring colours post it and I'll take a look.

Hi guys, thanks so much for the replies. Here is the information you have requested, plus several pictures of my drivers, bob, and wiring, and also other essential information. The wiring diagram is at the end of this post.

Break out board:

5 axis break out board V5 from buildyourcnc.com:

I wired it and set up mach3 using the instructions at:
    http://www.buildyourtools.com/phpBB3...php?f=8&t=2128

Stepper motors:

• 60BYGH303-13 (8 leads) from buildyourcnc.com:
      https://buildyourcnc.com/Documents/P...-13)%20(1).pdf

To be noted:
      - I have them wired bipolar parallel
      - honestly, nice looking motors, quality seems to be there, I doubt they could be broken, at least not all three at the same time.
    • 57BYGH8930 (4 leads: GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW, RED) from AliExpress.

To be noted:
      - No data sheet provided
      - The leads don't match Nema 23 standards, but I found the wiring on some other Chinese motor with the same color code... It said: GREEN=A-; RED=A+; BLUE=B-; YELLOW=B+.
      - Here is the link to the original AliExpress item, but this probably won't be of any help:
      http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEMA2...028971350.html
      - I think I was out of my mind when I bought this guy... but oh well, now that I have it I better use it :)

Stepper drivers:

• CW230, also from buildyourcnc.com:

To be noted:
      - No information on what switch 4 and 8 are for....
      - It has CW+/- and CP+/- instead of common DIR/STEP pins
      - I wired it using the instructions at:
      http://www.buildyourtools.com/phpBB3...php?f=8&t=2128

Switches are set to 2.4A and 1/8 mcs:
      SW1=0 (down)
      SW2=0 (down)
      SW3=1 (up)
      SW4=0 (down)
      SW5=1 (up)
      SW6=0 (down)
      SW7=1 (up)
      SW8=0 (down)
    • FMD2740A, came with the motor I bought on AliExpress (same link as for the motor):

To be noted:
      - I don't know what "Delay MD" is (switch 1 and 2). I tried slow and fast, no change in the motor behavior.
      - No information saying which if switch up = 1 or 0. There is a writing below the switches that shows a little arrow pointing down and on its left is written 0N. I assumed 0 was down, 1 was up.

Switches are set to 2.5A and 1/8 mcs:
      SW1=0 (down)
      SW2=1 (UP)
      SW3=1 (up)
      SW4=0 (down)
      SW5=0 (down)
      SW6=0 (down)
      SW7=0 (down)
      SW8=1 (up)

Power supply:

36V 9.7A from buildyourcnc.com

I know this is not sufficient for all four motors, but don't worry the problem does not come from this as I have tried using only 3 or 1 motor, same issue with the noise and huge vibrations. I have actually tried several combinations: 450oz motor alone, one 425oz motor alone, all three 425oz motors together, all four motors together. Same problem, no change. Now, for the four motor working together, and to use all the 9.7A (I know I'll be underpowered, no worry I'll buy another PSU later on, I just want to make sure my motors, bob and drivers work fine first), I set the them as follow:

• 450oz motor needs 3.2A, I give it 2.5A
    • 425oz motors needs 2.8A, I give them 2.4A

Total is 2.5 + 3 * 2.4 = 9.7A.

Here is the wiring diagram (note the motors model name):

Thanks so much for your help ! I hope to find what is not working right, so I can either fix it or buy some replacements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090293.jpg 
Views:	1994 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	16030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090294.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	16031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090296.jpg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	326.2 KB 
ID:	16032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	2544 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	16033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090298.jpg 
Views:	1428 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	16034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090297.jpg 
Views:	1359 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	16035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLAN.png 
Views:	2144 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	16036  
    Last edited by eurikain; 09-09-2015 at 11:58 PM.

It's hard to tell from the pics but the 8 wire motor looks like it's got 2 red wires going to A+.? You should have
    A+ = Red & Blue
    A - = Black & yellow
    B+ = wht & brn
    B - = Org & Grn

If correct then I have known some cheapp drives do strange things like this when the pulse is on the wrong side. So try changing the active state in Mach3 and see if it makes a difference.

Also what are you using for a parallel port cable.? It must be a straight thru cable not an old printer cable.!

I just updated the wiring diagram.

I have the wires plunged as you said. No double red going to A+, that's just my picture that was not taken right :)

When you say change the active state in Mach3, do you mean change to low active to low high ?

I am using a male-female cable I bought three years ago. I think it's the correct cable, as it worked fine three years ago :/

Have you measured the resistance between each pair of cables ie between red/blue black/yellow etc they should read all the same + or - a very small amount.

Also as Dean has said re the printer cable make sure it is a straight through cable ie pin 1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin2 etc. AS when you say you have used it before was it on a printer? Not all printer cables are straight through.
    Last edited by Clive S; 10-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

When you say change the active state in Mach3, do you mean change to low active to low high ?
    Yes and also try setting the Step pulse so it's ahead of the Dir pulse. You'll find this in motor tuning.

I am using a male-female cable I bought three years ago. I think it's the correct cable, as it worked fine three years ago :/
    Clive answered this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes and also try setting the Step pulse so it's ahead of the Dir pulse. You'll find this in motor tuning.

Clive answered this for me.

bi polar parallel wants more juice,
    you need a 15 amp 36 volt psu
    why don't you run them at a higher res?
    Last edited by nobby; 10-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.

So sorry for the delay !

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Have you measured the resistance between each pair of cables ie between red/blue black/yellow etc they should read all the same + or - a very small amount.

I will try tomorrow. How am I supposed to test this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Also as Dean has said re the printer cable make sure it is a straight through cable ie pin 1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin2 etc. AS when you say you have used it before was it on a printer? Not all printer cables are straight through.

I bought this cable brand new three years ago and only used it with my CNC electronics, never on a printer. I will check that all pins are straight through (actually, how do I do that with no juice on them ?) and get back to you tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
    bi polar parallel wants more juice

Could I wire them in series ? Then they'll need 1.4A and I'll be fine (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
    why don't you run them at a higher res?

What do you mean ? 1/16 or 1/4 ? FMD2740A can't do 1/8 or 1/4, only full, 1/2, 1/16 and lover.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

Sounds good, I'll try that tomorrow and let you know. I'll wire only three motors and see what comes out. i'll post pictures/videos if I can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information