. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have the ebay version on my machine. The step loss is usually 0-2 after a a bunch of milling.
    You can tune the drives via the RS232 adapter cable and their utility.
    By default it has an 1000 lines encoder. The driver can actually handle more (4000?), so you could replace the encoder and get (hopefully) more accuracy out of it. I haven't tried that yet.

Edit:
    I also haven't done any tuning (508 driver model)
    Last edited by DuffelBuffelWuffel; 14-09-2015 at 06:18 PM.

It certainly sounds worthwhile! I do use individual homing switches on the Y-axis so will that be okay with the ethernet easy stepper?

The "machine" does not know that it is using a hybrid stepper /servo. It just treats it as a normal stepper motor.
    So however your homing setup is it should not change.

When you are talking about "tandem" homing (two limit switches on one axis) than it depends on the cnc controller you are using.
    I have Eding CNC and it supports tandem homing with a provided script.

Thanks for your comments. My last post was actually referring to Jazz's post saying Cslabs Motion controllers don't support individual homing switches for slave axis. So I just want to check the Smooth Stepper does.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Thanks for your comments. My last post was actually referring to Jazz's post saying Cslabs Motion controllers don't support individual homing switches for slave axis. So I just want to check the Smooth Stepper does.
    I am pretty certain the E smooth stepper does slaved axis
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

As an aside, anybody used one of these wireless pendants? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-CNC-Ma...item4adb63decf

you wont look back using the smooth stepper , i wish i got one from the start , but then again if i did i probably would appreciate what it does

To be honest I find it hard to believe a computer that can process millions of things a second can't pulse the motors accurately and without loosing count. That said, I do believe the feedback from you chaps so I will certainly get one!
    Last edited by Tenson; 14-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Its down to how the software can access the hardware from the software. Where as a motion controller has a direct link to its hardware. I think i read that cslabs stuff uses a fpga controller which are great for this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Gotty101; 15-09-2015 at 12:23 PM.

I guess the parallel port was never really intended for time critical applications.

I ordered the ethernet easy stepper (ESS) from Amadeal last night and they already shipped it! I can't afford any down time on my machine for some weeks so I will have to try it out later on.

I also bought an 80V driver for the X axis that matches the ones on the Y axis. I'm sure it doesn't make much sense to run Y axis on 80V and X axis on 50V as I currently am.

How big a PSU do you guys usually run for Y and X axis? Currently my Y axis is powered from a 500watt toroid with 10,000uF smoothing caps (no SMPS here!). I wonder if it has enough headroom to power the X axis too, or if I need to get an additional PSU. A basic electricity meter shows my machine draws about 250watts for both Y and X together under normal use, but the meter will not show peaks (then again PSU caps should supply peak current draw).
    Last edited by Tenson; 15-09-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information