. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    How big a PSU do you guys usually run for Y and X axis? Currently my Y axis is powered from a 500watt toroid with 10,000uF smoothing caps (no SMPS here!). I wonder if it has enough headroom to power the X axis too, or if I need to get an additional PSU. A basic electricity meter shows my machine draws about 250watts for both Y and X together under normal use, but the meter will not show peaks (then again PSU caps should supply peak current draw).
    500W will run all the axis no problem.

Also the ESS works fine with Slaved axis and homing. The install time is minutes with no rewiring required. Just install plug-in and away you go.
    You may want to retune the motors for better performance.

you need +5v to the ESS iirc

Yes, that is correct. Unlike the USB you need to feed the ESS
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

It's a bit late now I've got the ESS, but what do you think of the PoScope Jazz? Looks like more functionality for a lower price.

http://www.poscope.com/PoKeys57CNC

It's a bit late now I've got the ESS, but what do you think of the PoScope Jazz? Looks like more functionality for a lower price.

http://www.poscope.com/PoKeys57CNC
    I've got one and it's ok but not has good as the ESS. Also to get the full functiinality you have to use USB rather than Ethernet which is a let down.

I'd like to say thanks to Jazz for recommending the smooth stepper to me, even though my original post on the subject was about servo motors!

I've got it installed now and cut a few things. The increase in accuracy is quite noticeable, even running at a higher speed. :)

At the same time as installing the ESS I did also upgrade one of my motor drivers so that will no doubt help, but I've gone from rapids at 6m/s to 10m/s and cutting from 4m/s to 6m/s and still seeing higher accuracy.

Worth every penny.

I'd like to say thanks to Jazz for recommending the smooth stepper to me, even though my original post on the subject was about servo motors!

I've got it installed now and cut a few things. The increase in accuracy is quite noticeable, even running at a higher speed. :)
    Thanks and your welcome. It's actually quite hard to get across to people the difference an external motion control card makes. It's more than just the speed and more to do with the whole way the machine performs. Has you found out even the sound of the machine changes.

Being from the MotorCycle Racing background the best way to describe the parallel port is like comparing the sound and performance of clapped out Honda 90 to Honda RC166.!!. . . . Close your eyes and listen to this 50yr old bike.!!!

Last edited by JAZZCNC; 19-10-2015 at 04:42 PM.

How many mm/min does that pull?

How many mm/min does that pull?
    Revs nearly has fast as your spindle at 20,000Rpm and does in excess of 402,3360mm/min or 150mph +

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information