. .

Thread: Trochoidal CAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I saw passing mention of someone using trochoidal cutting paths recently. I've had a quick look around and it doesn't look as if any of the more common (I.e. cheap enough for home use) CAM packages offer this. Have I missed something? Is it something worth doing even on relatively lightweight home machines, as opposed to full-scale heavyweight commercial milling machines?

Estlcam ??

Probably me you seen mention it.? . . . I think seen CamBam can do this or flavor of it but I may be wrong has I don't use it. Possibly was on a beta version.?

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Is it something worth doing even on relatively lightweight home machines, as opposed to full-scale heavyweight commercial milling machines?
    Yes very much so because the cutting forces are so much lower it doesn't stress the machine or cutter so much. The material removal rate and extended tool life is awsome.
    Down side has you've seen is it mostly only comes on higher end Cam packages so costs more. If your making money with the machine and time is important then it's really worth having because the cycle times can drop by 50-60% and tool life increase by 25-35%.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Was using Estlcam for some time before your mention, like it because it's very easy to use and very well priced.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Probably me you seen mention it.? . . . I think seen CamBam can do this or flavor of it but I may be wrong has I don't use it. Possibly was on a beta version.?
    I think it might have been you, Jazz - I'm not sure now. Google found a reference to someone who was playing with this a few years ago as a possible plug-in option for Cambam, but as far as I can see it hasn't made it to the product. I've been playing with Fusion360 recently as a 3D design tool, especially for 3D printing (it's a bit OTT for this but just a few features make it really useful) but I hadn't looked at the CAM side of it at all. Searching for "trochoidal" in the help area I find mention of a "max trochoidal radius" CAM parameter, but no explanation of what it is or how it is used. Looks like I need to do a bit of exploring there.

Haven't come across Estlcam - I'll take a closer look, thanks.

Hi Neale,

When I looked into this a few months back I got all excited because CAMBAM seemed to offer this, and was prepared to buy a copy just for that. But the more I read into it the more convinced I was that it was an imitation of troichoidal type paths and ONLY for straight line cuts. It did not do proper trochoidal for arbitrary shapes such as pockets. To me this is the where the time saving could come in, so I didn't buy it.
    I could be wrong but that was the conclusion / limitation I made about CAMBAM.

Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Not overly impressed with that John if I'm honest. Very hard on the machine with all those aggressive little moves for such a simple pocket.
    Compare it with this doing more slightly larger more complex pocket look at the difference in smoothness, ignore my shacking the camera about.!!

Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Not overly impressed with that John if I'm honest.
    No surprises there then would have liked more machine noises and less of the other.

A lot may be with the settings he had chosen, can change quite a lot of them including Z relief. It is a 39 euro program

Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    No surprises there then would have liked more machine noises and less of the other.

A lot may be with the settings he had chosen, can change quite a lot of them including Z relief. It is a 39 euro program
    Ye the reason for no sound was because there wasn't any.?
    Didn't realise camera had NO sound setting and must have pushed it.? Has you can see I'm no Richard Attenbourgh when it comes to filming . . Lol . . The actually cutting sound was just normal cutting sound much like in that video you posted.

Must say thou that is very impressive for a software only costing 39 Euro.!! . . . So I'll take back my words and say I'm very impressed. .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-09-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information