. .

Finally cooked original spindle on my 3040, it only ever cuts ply, insulation foam and its nemesis, Tufnol.

Think got overambitious with tool size and depth of cut in black tufnol , though it seemed OK with brown tufnol. Whats the difference between brown and black phenolic?

Bearings have ,er, a bit of slop. Most of the brushes appears to have fallen into the nose bearing. Though going by the tracks the spindle had a hard life as a servo core before it became a spindle on a 3040.

FYI its 54mm diameter , replacement spindles on ebay are 52mm and need new spindle mount, 70 X 20 mm spacing on the mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spin1.jpg 
Views:	1976 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	16047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spin2.jpg 
Views:	1601 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	16048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spin3.jpg 
Views:	1525 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	16049  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Musht For This Useful Post:

Since you need a new mount anyway, I would go with a 3-phase spindle around 0.8W, they come in air or water cooled.
    It is what I have lined up for transplant into my own 3040.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Since you need a new mount anyway, I would go with a 3-phase spindle around 0.8W, they come in air or water cooled.
    It is what I have lined up for transplant into my own 3040.
    The WC ones are a lot quieter Cive
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Bit concerened about wether the Z would take the extra weight of the 0.8Kw spindle

I too, am just looking at replacing the spindle on an old Step 4 router. Looked at the BPP 0.8 watercooled 1.5kw VFD. Since I am replacing a little Proxon router spindle, I have no idea of the additional requirements to drive this new spindle. I am not electrically very competant?? If anyone would be kind enough to explain the implementation of the water cooled system, I would be most grateful.
    I have been running with my Kress spindle, but that is a bit too heavy and some mild flexation is evident (not unsurprisingly) if I overdo the load.
    Once again I would be grateful for any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    I too, am just looking at replacing the spindle on an old Step 4 router. Looked at the BPP 0.8 watercooled 1.5kw VFD. Since I am replacing a little Proxon router spindle, I have no idea of the additional requirements to drive this new spindle. I am not electrically very competant?? If anyone would be kind enough to explain the implementation of the water cooled system, I would be most grateful.
    I have been running with my Kress spindle, but that is a bit too heavy and some mild flexation is evident (not unsurprisingly) if I overdo the load.
    Once again I would be grateful for any assistance.
    Well first if the machine can't handle the Kress then it won't handle a WC spindle has they are much heavier.

The electrics are simple enough to understand. The motor is controlled by the VFD which converts 220v single phase power which comes out the wall into 220v 3 phase which the spindle needs to work. The VFD also acts has a speed controller by varying the Frequency sent to the motor which can run with much higher frequency than 50hz which comes out the wall and what your Kress would use. Typical is 400hz.

The electrical connections are easy enough. You have Live, neutral and Earth coming from the VFD to the wall plug just like the Kress. Then you have the 3 phase U V W which go to the Spindle. In it's basic form that is it and you would control the on/off and speed directly from the VFD panel.

But the VFD also allows it to be controlled externally for both speed and ON/OFF and direction via Digital and analog inputs. To do this your machine would need to supply the speed referency voltage source and control the inputs on the VFD for on/off and direction etc.
    Most BOB's provide a relay or Outputs which can be used to drive a Relay that would be used to control the Digital inputs. Some BOB's also provide a Spindle 0-10V source for speed reference. If not then you'll need a separate Spindle boad that gives a 0-10v analog or PWM output to control the speed.

Often people just Control the ON/OFF from the Control software using G-code commands and speed on the VFD panel.manually.

Hope this helps.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Jazz - Thanks again for your valuable input. I had an embarrassing pair of loose mounting bolts on the Kress. Having done a belated maintenance run on the machine, it is running pretty square on 25mm ply.
    Will still order a water cooled spindle. But not for this machine.

Thread Information