. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It took a while, but we are getting there with our cybernetic CNC.
    See previous post
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8223-...ght=cybernetic

I wired up the TB6600 to a eBay Planet USB CNC clone from Ratim.(Not aware it was a cloned product when I bought it)
    The TB6600 drivers are connected on a 19-24 V power supply, now at 20V and at 1/8 microstepping.

In the beginning the motors started grinding when driving to fast and the CNC carriage was easy to stop by hand.
    I got decent result and torque after I inverted the pulse on the USB CNC software.
    But the drivers get quite warm, around 40C/43C after 30 min. usage.
    Even when the CNC is doing noting, the drivers get warm.
    Arround 33C after 20 min. doing nothing.

So I was wondering if it is normal for the Ebay TB 6600 steppers to get so warm, or was inverting the pulse not a good idea ?
    I had a look at a spare driver and there appeared to be thermal paste between the TB6600 and the heatsink.
    We can get the temp down with some fans of course.

I also looked up the spec of the older drivers the the machine came with,
    L297 drivers.
    These drivers have Full/Half step mode, so can it be that 1/8 is to much for the motors and make the stepper driver to hot?
    I still have to check this.

Kevin.

One thing to remember with stepper motors is that they are still taking current when stationary - this is to hold the motor in position. So the driver will still be working as well. However, a lot of drives switch to "half-current" mode when the motor is stationary so that reduces power consumption and heat dissipation a bit. However, 40C or so doesn't sound that hot to me. My motors get hotter than that in normal operation!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your reply Neale.
    The temperature I mentioned was of the stepper drivers.
    The motors run around 35C
    You think 40C is still ok for the TB6600 drivers?

Which are you asking about here.! . . . Hot drivers or Hot steppers. Because you mention both.?

Steppers usually get hot, between 50-80deg is quit normal depending on factors like voltage and current. But drives getting hot isn't a good thing so I'd suggest some cooling to help ease there pain, esp has they are wimps to start with.!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Sorry to be unclear and thanks for the reply jazzcnc, I was referring to hot drivers.
    I got them cooler and a bit more torque by un-ticking the invert pulse mode, and switch the DIP switches to 5 amp.
    Not as much torque as inverting the pulse, but the drivers are much cooler.
    I red on the following post that the Amps settings of these drivers are correct, and I'm probably save.
    http://forum.planet-cnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1107

I will do some tests next week to see if the machine has enough torque.If not, I will go back to inverting the pulse rate and ad some fans on the drivers.

Thread Information