. .
  1. First off hello I'm jason and have been lurking for a while trying to digest all the info and opinions everyone has given.
    currently I complete all my work by hand on my mini sieg x1mill and sc2 lathe not the best I know but they complete the work I need very well lol.
    now the problem, I want to have a cnc machine that can mill aluminium parts for RC projects and can mill wooden frames for the Mrs's projects.
    So do I modify the x1 for cnc and ignore the fact the table is too small to complete the Mrs work or do I by a cnc router and only be able to complete her work, I am stuck for ideas.

I currently have a budget of 1k (I already have the software/PC) and am not keen on buying an eBay cnc router as I read so many bad things and with me not working I can't afford to waste a grand, I'm not over keen at building a cnc router as I don't know enough about them to build them well enough but if i need to i will.

So my long winded first question to you all is ....what would you do ?

Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for any help advice you can give

Jason

Hi welcome to the forum,

I wonder how much it would cost to convert the X1 and buy one of the Chinese machines for her in doors say a 3040/6040 machine, you wouldn't necessarily need to go mad on the electronics for the mill as anything less involved than (by hand) would be a step forward, as time passes, upgrade as you need to.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-09-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    .Me

3. Thanks Lee
    I have thought about doing both, but my shed is tiny I currently have the mill, lathe, drill, bench grinder,tumble dryer lol and enough room for me just to stand.
    I've got the cost to about £400 for converting the x1 that's with me making the nema mounts.
    I'm in two minds with the Chinese routers as it's only for small wood stuff like routing flowers into the edges of picture frames and routing butterflies from balsa crafty sort of stuff But I begrudge buying cheap stuff now as it never lasts or is so out of balance I'm forever modifying it or buying replacement parts for it .

Trouble I've got is this 1k is all I am going to have for a long long time as I can't work due to ill health so upgrade later is not an option really so I have to try and get the best option for the long run

Thanks

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jas46 View Post
    Thanks Lee
    I have thought about doing both, but my shed is tiny I currently have the mill, lathe, drill, bench grinder,tumble dryer lol and enough room for me just to stand.
    I've got the cost to about £400 for converting the x1 that's with me making the nema mounts.
    I'm in two minds with the Chinese routers as it's only for small wood stuff like routing flowers into the edges of picture frames and routing butterflies from balsa crafty sort of stuff But I begrudge buying cheap stuff now as it never lasts or is so out of balance I'm forever modifying it or buying replacement parts for it .

Trouble I've got is this 1k is all I am going to have for a long long time as I can't work due to ill health so upgrade later is not an option really so I have to try and get the best option for the long run

Thanks

Jason
    Np,

So really then it's going to be a question of "what one makes you both more money, it sounds like your balance is that you have more time then you do money, if thats true then consider that into the equation, the faster you can produce the stuff paying the bills the faster you'll have both time and money :), then you get to play with a cnc mill AND a cnc router.

I'm in a similar position at the moment due to my own health, so it's really frustrating I know. Just got to keep your head up, walk tall and do what you can till things get better.

Don't forget, the mill could do woodwork as well, may not be an ideal way to manage wood but it could still be productive if you can make it work for you

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    .Me

5. Lee
    Yes it seems that way I certainly have the time, the Mrs works full time in place of me now so the time is all me ....... hmm seems you've help me answer the question.

I've been searching the forum for what's best and have come to the conclusion to build a fixed gantry router as I should be able to build it to suit both our needs, if I aim for it to be able to cut aluminium it should be able to route what the Mrs needs.

I mean I'm not talking industrial size here the cutting area only needs to be 400mm x 400mm and to be fair any bigger and it won't fit in the shed lmao.

Jas

Never the twian shall meet.!! . . . . That is wood and Mills. . .Lol

If you have a Mill then my suggestion is keep it just for work that requires slower speeds and feeds. Both Aluminium and wood require much higher feeds and spindle speeds to get the best from them. Mill with only 3000-5000rpm and high pitch screws will struggle badly with wood and be slow when cutting Ali.

So really with only a Grand then it's a no brainer you have to DIY. The Chinese machines are ok for learning on but if you want to earn some money with it and be pushing then they will let you down quickly.

Then with only a Grand you won't have any room for error or wrong buying if you take the DIY route. So consider this choice carefully has well.
    My best advise is if DIY route then save a little More.? Another £500 will see you with a much better machine.

The fixed gantry setup at this size is good choice but it will take more room than moving gantry giving same cutting area so bare this in mind.

If you do take the DIY route and time isn't a pressure then Throw up a Thread and We'll help you with design and buying the right stuff from the right places.

Me personally I will offer now to help you with both Design/Electrics and cutting any parts if you take the DIY option.

Good luck and tread careful because a Grand isn't alot and can be wasted quickly when it comes to making wrong choices with CNC.!

7. Jazzcnc
    wow thanks for the help and the offer of the future help, I will definitely take you up on it
    I will always find a use for the mini mill lol its been a god send for me the past year.
    I have been looking at others builds and want the best I can afford, and have no time scale on completion I have seen the digital nema23 2.2 with 556 drivers kit on cnc4u I thought would be adiquate what are your thoughts ?
    I am thinking rectangle box steel welded for the Base with a fixed centered gantry, the y and z would be on gantry while x would be on the bed
    2x hiwin rails on all axis with the obvious ballscrew on all 3

vague description I know but once I get an idea what everyone thinks is a good solid idea I will design it out properly
    This is one project I can't afford to mess up so it will be done properly with the help and input from the people I the know

Thanks again

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jas46 View Post
    I have been looking at others builds and want the best I can afford, and have no time scale on completion I have seen the digital nema23 2.2 with 556 drivers kit on cnc4u I thought would be adiquate what are your thoughts ?
    No we can do much better than that for same or less money. The problem with these kits is they are always compromised in some way with miss matched components.
    In this case 36V PSU when those motors will easily run much higher voltage and give better performance.

For the same Money we should be able to have 80V AM882 Digital drives running custom 68V PSU using 3Nm motors. This setup I use all the time on routers that cut everything from paper to Ali with ease. It will also give you upgrade potential if ever need a bigger machine.

The Planned design sounds spot on so get the crayons out and lets see your idea on paper.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 15-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.

9. Thanks jazz cnc I will post up the designs in the next couple of days ��
    this should be a good project, I haven't done one in a while lol

Jas

Thread Information