. .
    Just putting together 6040 size router, 2.2KwInverter, 2.2KwSpindle WC, 3x Nema 23 Steppers, 3 x Stepper Drivers (DM542A) and S350-36 36v 10a PSU. - I have same suitable BOBs but would like to consider an integrated MCB. I recall jazz made some recommendations, but I cannot find the post? Would like to use existing drivers and to stay with Mach3.
    If anyone would be able to advise. Your kind assistance appreciated.

Looking at some cards and they seem to require clean 5V supply. How do I do that please?

Do you mean Micro B servo drives? Or do you mean Miniature Circuit Breakers? Or something else?

5V can be obtained from the PC power supply (check one of the spare molex plugs inside the PC with a voltmeter to find the 5V supply). Or you can buy a DIN rail mounted 5V supply which runs off mains - note that this must be used inside an electrical cabinet as it will have exposed terminals.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Motion Control Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    Motion Control Board.
    Did you have a short list of boards?

Personally, I would only recommend the Ethernet Smoothstepper or CSMios higher end offerings. (hard to believe that the CSMIO ip-M does not do backlash compensation? Jazz can you confirm this is the case?)
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Did you have a short list of boards?

Personally, I would only recommend the Ethernet Smoothstepper or CSMios higher end offerings. (hard to believe that the CSMIO ip-M does not do backlash compensation? Jazz can you confirm this is the case?)
    Honest answer is I don't know because I don't and wouldn't use Backlash comp if it did. To me Backlash comp is a bodge and not very affective. Much better to remove backlash than try let software deal with it.

Thou looking at the spec of the IP-M it says not only the IP-S and IP-A, so I guess not.!! . . . . No big deal to me really. Machine with backlash is a wornout machine to me.!. .

I have been leaning towards the Ethernet Smoothsteper.

If you don't require slaved motors then I would still go with the IP-M over the ESS despite the ESS being higher spec'd and here's why.

The ESS still requires a BOB and to get the best from it you need a good quality BOB and IME the only one out there worth pairing with it is the PMDX126.
    If you want Spindle speed control then you'll also need a Speed control card or a BOB which provides one. If using the PMDX you'll need there 106 spindle controller.!! . . . This adds to the price making it more expensive than the IP-M and both can only be bought direct from PMDX in states.

If you put a cheap or even average Bob with it you'll be open to many issues that come with them.! Like low quality and slow opto's which defeat the point of nice fast motion control card.
    Then you still have the fact your using 5V for input/ouput signals which leaves you open to issues from noise which plague BOB's.

The IP-M doesn't require a BOB at all and uses 24v I/O with nice quality terminal connectors making it very very noise immune. So imuune I can run my High frequency Tig welder right next to the machine while cutting and it not be affected.!! . . .Try that with a ESS or most other controllers using an average BOB and see what happens.

It comes with built in Spindle speed controller and Relays so no extra cards required.

The quality of the Cslabs unit is far better IMO than the ESS or any other controller in this class and In contrast to warp9 who are pathetic at both.!! The software and service from CSLABS is excellent.

Edit:

Now a request to those who would like a CSLABS controller but needing slaved motors and can't afford the Higher Spec'd IP-S.
    Has some may know the IP-M will work with slaved motors but at the moment won't HOME to individual switches for each motor.! This is THE biggest let down of the IP-M for routers needing this slaved motor feature.
    I've been hassling CSLABS to give us this feature but they are resisting my requests. SO now I'm going to Defcon 2 and in true Shawshank tradition I'll be upping the Emails to one a week untill they give in. . .Lol
    I've pleaded with them and pointed out they are loosing sales because Stepper based users like us won't pay for and don't require the Higher spec more expensive IP-S.
    So please if your wanting but can't afford IP-S then email them saying you would like to buy the IP-M but won't while ever it doesn't home to individual switches . They told me they wouldn't do slaved Motors on the IP-M but they changed there mind in the End after many many emails so with enough requests to make them see the lost sales they will change minds again.?? . . . . So come on lads get emailing and we'll have a top quality Kickass controller for stepper based slaved motor systems.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 19-09-2015 at 10:18 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information