. .
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
    Jazz what do you mean by clamp and lock up when EMF gets high?
    The PSU can have protection circuitry which trips the PSU into fault mode if voltage or current rise above certain threshold. So if the back Emf from motors is high. ie: Like when changing direction at high speeds with heavy gantry the current can spike above this amount and cause trip.

The caps in toroidal supply absorb this back EMF so it's not problem.

Update to control panel

Previous USB controller XHC was working fine - only issues i had was with plug in - few bugs like homing stopping after each axis.
    Never lost signal, no interferance
    Home had to be pressed another time for Y and Z unless they are very close to home position.
    Ref All Home
    X axis which reached the home stopped homing and cause Reset.
    Ref home again and the X axis which was in home moved a bit and and start homing Y
    Y in home but and reset triggered, so home all again.
    This will moved X for 2nd time, Y again for 1st time after being homed and start do Z
    Now I have to back a bit XYZ and home all - only doing that was posible to home all in one go.
    This was inconvenience to me so I moved to CSMiO -IP/M.

Does anybody got good software / plug-in? Tried few and still the same

Here is my new box
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	21285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	21286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2827.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	21287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	21288

Tom - are you using proximity switches by any chance? I had very similar problems with my own machine - homing was very problematic. I had configured it to home Z then X+Y together. Z homed OK, but I had random limit switch trips while X and Y were moving. Turned out to be because the proximity switches I was using had no hysteresis. What should happen is that switch-on and switch-off points should be slightly separate. Mach3 homes the axis until it trips the switch, axis comes to a halt but slightly overshoots, then backs off slowly until the switch trips off. Machine is now at home position and the switch goes from home switch mode to limit switch mode in Mach3. However, because on/off points are so close, any vibration after that point can cause the switch to trip on again, which is where the limit switch error occurs and everything stops. In my case, the only problem switch was on Z, and might have been something like resonance in the mounting plate for the switch. Perfectly strong enough for its function where there is no physical contact but it's just a flat bit of steel plate edge-welded to the gantry tube, and we are only talking maybe 10um to trip the switch so not much movement needed.

Fix for CSMIO users (courtesy of Dean, whose knowledge of these devices is invaluable!) is to set the home offset position in Mach3 to 0.5mm or so from the actual switch trip position. Axis homes in the usual way, then the CSMIO moves the axis by the small offset and sets zero at that point, enough to bring the axis trigger clear of the switch. After I made that tiny change in the homing and limits table for Z, I have not had a single false trip while homing, and the CSMIO is very happy to do simultaneous XY axis homing. It also means that you can safely move Z to 0 for rapid XY moves without any false triggering as the Z trigger is now far enough from the switch.

Of course, that might not be your problem but in my case, after playing about with switch changing, even buying a second batch of switches (which were just as bad), worrying whether it was noise or interference or something really difficult to track down, the workaround was trivially easy.

And our control boxes aren't a million miles apart either:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab outside.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	21293 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab inside door.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	21294 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab inside.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	21295

I have made some slight changes since I took the pictures - driver feeds to axes are via a row of XLR connectors on the LH side of the cab. I found that I was fitting and removing the cab fairly often when setting up the machine and the hard-wired connections were a pain in the neck. Literally, given their position...
    Last edited by Neale; 27-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Tom - are you using proximity switches by any chance? I had very similar problems with my own machine - homing was very problematic. I had configured it to home Z then X+Y together. Z homed OK, but I had random limit switch trips while X and Y were moving. Turned out to be because the proximity switches I was using had no hysteresis. What should happen is that switch-on and switch-off points should be slightly separate. Mach3 homes the axis until it trips the switch, axis comes to a halt but slightly overshoots, then backs off slowly until the switch trips off. Machine is now at home position and the switch goes from home switch mode to limit switch mode in Mach3. However, because on/off points are so close, any vibration after that point can cause the switch to trip on again, which is where the limit switch error occurs and everything stops. In my case, the only problem switch was on Z, and might have been something like resonance in the mounting plate for the switch. Perfectly strong enough for its function where there is no physical contact but it's just a flat bit of steel plate edge-welded to the gantry tube, and we are only talking maybe 10um to trip the switch so not much movement needed.
    Thanks Neale
    I use inductive sensors with two targets.
    My machine is quite stiff so there is no play or vibration.
    I use good quality sensors for X,Z and cheap for Z because is easy to replace.
    Switching signals are not erratic, just on off, not like in some cheap mechanical switches where de-bounce have to be used.
    As I said problem is with XHC module while homing. Sometimes with external reset - input is received but no action - baggy software.

I made that post in my thread to seek better plug in or software.
    I want to sell this module and have peace of mind that will work for somebody better than is working for me now.

Ah, you mentioned an IP/M, and it sounded as if you were having the same problems with that. A friend of mine recently bought a Chinese router that uses the XHC controller. AFAIK, he is using the latest version of Mach3 with the XHC driver that came with the machine, and that is all working fine. I know that he homes each axis in turn, though. The only homing issue was discovering that one of the proximity switch targets was badly adjusted so the machine hit its end stop before the switch. That's when we discovered that the target was a broken tap screwed into a roughly drilled hole, but it did have a locknut! Quick tweak and all was fine.

If you are satisfied that your machine is solid and beyond reproach, that's good. Mine is all-welded steel but the mounting plate for the switches could be a source of vibration, and there is around 50um backlash in the ballnut/ballscrew assembly, as far as I can measure. That's enough to go between on and off and back again with my switches. I'm glad I went with the IP/M from the outset, although even that has its little firmware oddities, as it lets me work around the issues.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information