. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All,

Been a few weeks since I posted a project video, as I've been busy luthiering, err doing luthiery, errr making a guitar.

To help with that in the future I made a Nut Height Gauge block which holds a DTI so you can measure string height at the first fret and then file the slots for the strings to the correctt depth:

Nice project. I just got my guitar back from a service after over 20 years of use and abuse and it is now a totally different guitar. They re-profiled the frets, cleaned everything, fixed the broken tone control, improved the earthing, fitted new strings, lowered the trem bar string rocker (don't know the name!) so the strings are closer to the frets, and it is so much nicer to play and has such a nice sound.

Should have done it years ago!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thanks and agree a good service on a guitar does wonders - what guitar have you got?

I've just bought a fret levelling kit from Crimson Guitars for the kit I'm building and then I'll hopefully (if I feel confident enough) I'll start on my collection - the Strat hasn't been done since the mid-90's and the Les Paul and Tele not since they left the shops in 02 and 96 respectively.

I've got some other luthier tools that I think I can CNC as well.....an example will be the action/saddle height gauge which is similar in application to the nut slot gauge.

Yamaha RGX112 (red) into a Peavey backstage 110 amp. I've had both for over 20 years. Seem to remember the big reason for buying was the extra frets (24?) to play some of the solos. Lots of guitars have less frets.

Often wondered about cnc machining a new one but with little time I'll stick with my shop bought one for now.

p.s. Next video with guitars needs to show you banging out a tune !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Nice Project Chris, reminds me that my guitar (Vintage SG copy) needs a damn good service. The frets need at the very least flatting/re-profiling and probably some of them replacing. They'll first have to scrape off the thick layer of dust from it.....

Once I've made a new back plate for my Z axis to give me more cutting height I want to make either an explorer or a V
    Neil...

Build log...here

That will be a cool project to watch Neil, although Gibsons are a more complex build from what I've seen, hence I'm sticking with Fender styles for now. You can kind of see with a machinist's eyes how Leo Fender designed his guitars for mass production and minimising the operation times for each component.

What cam software do you use Chris?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Nice little project and video but you know I've got to comment on that "poor mans Adaptive milling" . . Lol . . . . .He can't be that poor because he likes wasting electricity and time cutting air.!!

Com-on Washout I'd thought by now you'd know how to manual g-code to do that job in half the time.!

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    What cam software do you use Chris?
    Vectric Cut2D (old version).

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nice little project and video but you know I've got to comment on that "poor mans Adaptive milling" . . Lol . . . . .He can't be that poor because he likes wasting electricity and time cutting air.!!

Com-on Washout I'd thought by now you'd know how to manual g-code to do that job in half the time.!
    Lol yeah I thought that might provoke some comment. Its at least better than the back and forth one I ran on the Mic Pop Filter project :-)

You're right of course I should know better and have dabbled recently with a bit of manual editing of G-Code. I'll likely have a crack at shortening the operation time on this part if I need to cut another one like a good CNC padawan should :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information