. .
    Hi all, My name is Hasanain and I am new to the forum, lately I have been trying to select a suitable spindle for a DIY small fixed gantry CNC router (cutting area of 20x20cm) and decided I should go with the 1.5Kw water cooled China spindle with ER11.
    There is basically two types of spindle body one with 65mm and the other is 80mm diameter, so is there any added value going for the larger diameter? Some spindles come with three bearings other with four, are more bearings mean less run out?

Is the Chinese spindle a permanent magnet motor or standard induction motor (certainly doesn't look like one from outside)?
    Initially I wanted to skip the Chinese VFD part and go for a better quality 1.5Kw drive, I have seen couple of members here using Toshiba Vf-nc3 or ABB drives, most the threads I saw here and elsewhere are using the China VFD combo.

Finally, if I go with 1.5Kw drive, will the 13amp UK wall socket be enough? Do I have to wire special mains outlet from the distribution box bearing in mind I will mostly be doing PCB and occasionally small aluminum, brass parts and if my understanding is correct the spindle itself will be drawing 4amps at 12000 rpm and less at 24000rpm.

This is a hobby CNC router and certainly not for production.
    Best regards

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Hasanain View Post
    Is the Chinese spindle a permanent magnet motor or standard induction motor (certainly doesn't look like one from outside)?
    its an induction motor.

Initially I wanted to skip the Chinese VFD part and go for a better quality 1.5Kw drive, I have seen couple of members here using Toshiba Vf-nc3 or ABB drives, most the threads I saw here and elsewhere are using the China VFD combo.
    The chinese VFDs are OK - no need to spend extra money

Finally, if I go with 1.5Kw drive, will the 13amp UK wall socket be enough?
    13amp is enough for 2.5kW.

Think about buying the 2.2kW Version. Not because of power but because of the ER20 collet. The largest diameter ER11 can handle is 7mm and a lot of good and cheap tool come with 8mm shaft.

Christian
    2D / 3D CAM Software and CNC controller: http://www.estlcam.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Christian Knuell For This Useful Post:

Hi Christian, thanks for clearing this up, I will go for the 2.2Kw spindle-VFD combo.

Hi Christian, thanks for clearing this up, I will go for the 2.2Kw spindle-VFD combo.
    Remember that the weight and the collet will also be different. The 1.5kW 65mm is lighter than the 1.5kW 80mm and of course, even the holder is considerably heavier and larger. The 2.2kW is even heavier and larger that the 1.5kW. So it all depends on when you plan to do with and how the rest of the CNC is build. There is no real advantage in using a huge motor and not using it for the power it provides. It will just generate extra heat and higher electricity bills if it is too large without reason. If you want, you can always use a more powerful VFD and a less powerful motor, so the 2.2kW VFD is fully usable with a 1.5kW spindle.

I have a cheap Chinese 1.5kW 65mm air cooled motor and a Bosch Rexroth EFC 5610 inverter. The reason why I bought this VFD was that it is a SVC (sensorless vector controller) type, so I can get high torque at low RPM and also it is very well documented and supported, a real professional VFD. The build quality is very high and it has many features which I like, like built in EMC filter, USB PC interface for configuration and remote control, easy configuration and so on. Here are two short video films I made, one is the compulsory "unpacking" and the other is a quick configuration video, showing the configuration using the panel. Configuration via the PC USB port is even easier.

I decided not to buy any of the Chinese VFDs because I trust the branded ones are much better in many aspects, one is electrical safety and quality, the other is support and documentation. All that is definitely true so far. In other words, no regrets, even if I had to pay a little more. The price difference was really worth it and it was really not that much. I bought mine from Inverter Drive Supermarket, excellent price, quick delivery and good service, so if I need anything else and they have it, I'll definitely return to them.

Thread Information