. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nothing to do with Mach3 so forget that.!! . . . . They are correct thou that those motors are more than good enough when run at that voltage and with those drives.
    It's a common mistake to blame motors and go for larger motors only to find out they weren't the problem and now your performance is less.!!

If really is loosing steps(I don't think it is.!!) This will be down to setup with motors being over tuned or mechanical issue causing binding.
    My own feeling is that some coupler or pulley is slipping.? Missed steps tend to be one of two states.? Incremental showing slowly over the course of job in tiny amounts. Or Random with no ryhm or reason.?
    Incremental often comes from wrongly setup motors/drives. Random from Electrical noise or poor wiring.

Give us some info on the tuning for each axis. Also Info on the Pitch of pinions or screws etc.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-10-2015 at 01:22 PM.

There is one thing you can try that does happen and will cause a missed step on each directional change.
    This happens when the Step Pulse is sent out on the wrong pulse edge to what the drive is set to expect. Resulting in the drive sees the Step pulse at the wrong time and one step or micro step is dropped on every direction change due to the fact step pulse comes before the direction pulse so it gets dropped.

This is easy tested by knocking some G-code to move each axis back n forth 1000's times then returning back to start. Make a mark before running and see if it returns to same mark after run the test.

If it doesn't then you have the Pulse edge set wrong. Easy fixed by changing the Active Lo setting in Motor tuning. ( Or some drives have a setting for this) This will then make your motors turn the wrong way so you'll have to go into Homing and limits and use the Reverse axis option.
    People Often make the mistake of thinking swapping the Dir active low is for changing axis direction when it's not. It does but it's not correct way.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-10-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Hi Jazz,
    The first thing i did was go around and check every relevant nut bolt and coupler ! They all seemed to be fine. But no harm to have another look.
    Rack and Pinion are 20' pitch, pinion moves 94.2mm per revolution. Geared down by 5:1. Ball screw on Y is a 2010 its ran from a belt 1:1 (2 no 34-5M-15mm (TL) Timing Pulley) and on Z its a direct drive 2505,

I was having some resonance issues at slow speeds when i first started cutting so i upped the microstep setting on the driver and it helped a lot. I upped it to 4000. When i talked to company they suggested putting it back down to 800. I will try this on Monday.

Im pretty sure its not a binding issue. I can jog around no hassle as 10/12 m/min. Although maybe that could change under load. I need to eliminate it 1 thing at a time.

Acceleration is set to 100 ( this is low i think ) Max speed is set to 5m/min.
    If i cut below 2.5m/min i have no issue its when i go above this the problem starts....

Thanks Philip
    Last edited by philgiggins; 11-10-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Thread Information