Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 62. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Looking further ahead - I will obviously need to lift it onto the bench I also tried to feel the weight at the tailstock end and the chuck end and it is still very heavy. I had got a few friends lined up to help lift it but now I'm not so sure. Will probably hire an engine crane to be on the safe side.
    When faced with the similar problem (Myford ML7) I bought a couple of block-and-tackle pulleys from Amazon for ~5 each and hung them from some 4x2 across the eaves of the shed. Not claiming it was the best* way, but it got me out of a pinch.

* Nor the worst - that'd be my lifting of an air conditioning unit 10ft off the deck using a ladder-against-the-wall, some rope, a load of buckets and a hose-pipe.

Hi Jonathon,
    Thanks for the info. I've actually got a set of carbide tools on back order. It was a set of 9? for ~52 but they came 'free' as part of the Warco lathe bundle, along with bits I was going to buy anyway. I also bought a nice cut off tool for about 30.
    Should get me started but I'll look into Aliexpress as well once I know what I really need for tooling.

Hi Doddy,
    Sounds like an interesting way to do it! My garage is part of the house so wouldn't want to put load on the first floor joists. I had a look at crane hire and there is a hire place about 2 miles from me at 35 for one day for a 1 tonne engine crane. If this includes delivery (not clear on the website) I'll go for that.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Well I had lots of problems trying to dial in the bracket using shims. Eventually realised that I'd counterbored the bolt holes quite deep leaving only a bit of material at the bottom of the hole and every time I tightened the bolts it was extruding aluminium out of the bottom surface - this varied the height each time!

Anyway, I started again and made up a new bracket. This time it had 4 grub screws to do the levelling and shallow counterbores with smaller holes. I wanted to get each side of bolts and grub screws in a line, but there was not enough space. So I had to offset them a bit. Before levelling I ran an end mill down the grub screw holes to clear the paint off the cross slide to make sure they were biting onto the metal, not the soft paint.

Didn't take too long to dial in left to right:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5104.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	19401

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	19402

Instructions say within 0.1 mm - I managed to get 0.01mm so OK there. Then dialled it in front to back.

At this point I realised there was another problem. The slide I'd been supplied had a travel of 100 mm but the cross slide travel was 115 mm. Although I might not use all the travel, it bothered me that at some point in the future I might damage the read head. I phoned Warco and they did say this was the model they fitted to this lathe. I mentioned that I'd be happier with the 150 mm travel model, even if the scale stuck out the back ~30mm and they were OK to swap it (just 5 more). I should get that next week so I stopped that job.

The longer slide was next. I made some brackets with grub screw levellers in:

Name:	IMG_5119.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	19403

Name:	IMG_5120.jpg 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	19404

Clearing the paint with an end mill:

Name:	IMG_5125.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	19405

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	19406

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	19407

After ALOT of messing about, clamping, adjusting, shimming I managed to get the other end pretty close to level then drilled the tapped hole. Once this was bolted I set about dialling the scale in vertically (slots in scale ends) and fore/aft (grub screws):

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	19408

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	19409

I'm thinking about using a cable guide for the 2 cables. I don't like the idea of them being loose and getting caught in a bird's nest and pulled into the chuck, or sliding around on the drip tray.

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	19410

Now for the drop link bracket:

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	19411

Last part to make will be a space block between this drop bracket and the read head. I measured 6.86 mm gap so I'll machine something to suit. I think there is a tolerance fore/aft on the read head so as long as it sits somewhere in the middle of the channel on the scale it should be OK.

Name:	IMG_5141.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	19412

Then I'll tackle the cable guide shelf and start routing the cables off to the tail stock end and behind the splash guard up to the read out. This will mount somewhere up on the left side near the motor controls.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123