. .

Thread: Bandsaw Guides

Hello Gentlemen

I'm Pete, a wood worker based in North Manchester. If I am in the wrong for posting on this forum please forgive me, but I've tried everything else.
    I'm looking for someone in Manchester who would be willing to make me a set of guides for my bandsaw so I can use 1/8" blades. Ideally you
    would be willing to pop round for a brew and cake while I show you what I'm after and you would be able to take all the necessary measurements.
    I'm more than willing to pay, I'm not looking to get it done on the cheap, but I've spent weeks phoning UK tool shops, and I've been
    emailing a company in the States who make what I'm after but they wanted $158.00 shipping Hope one of you chaps or ladies will be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    If I am in the wrong for posting on this forum please forgive me, but I've tried everything else. Ideally you....for a brew and cake
    Hummm Cake! C'Mon, who dosnt like cake!, definitely not in the wrong Pete!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the request, if you want post a RFQ in the Marketplace section, here should be fine though.

.Me
    .Me

Hi Pete
    Welcome to the forum
    If you could let the guys have a bit more information that would be a help.What make is the Bandsaw ? can you take some pictures of the guides you are running now, with a picture of them in position as well, i am sure there will be someone that can help you out.
    Regards
    Mike

Hello Pete,

I am far from local so I cannot visit you. However, if you post pictures of your existing guides and sizes I may know where you can source some guides.

Thank you ever so much gentlemen Here's a few piccies of my current guides, they are really pants considering the saw was £700.00, appreciated that isn't much compared to the cost of a CNC one. I spoke to the manufacturer last week, Record Power, the model is a BS350S. They said you can't use 1/8" blades on any of their machines, which begs the question why does the tension guide
    start at 1/8". There is a company in the States who have come up with a solution, it's a single bearing with a groove in the centre, the guide or bearing is set so it pushes the blade 1/8" forward and then you adjust the top wheel 1/8" back. I thought they had one to fit my saw but the guide bar was too short and they don't manufacture on site or provide a custom service to make the bar
    20mm longer.
    The other system which seems popular in the US is to use Cool Blocks or Space Age Thrust bearings etc, again I haven't been able to find a UK supplier, or even a guide system which can be adapted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Guides Front View.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	860.4 KB 
ID:	16304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Guides Back View.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	896.4 KB 
ID:	16305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Guide Post Measurement.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	843.0 KB 
ID:	16306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Guides SV1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	16307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top and Bottom Guide Sets.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	983.1 KB 
ID:	16308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Guides FV1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	16309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Guides GV3.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	16310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Guides GV5.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16311  

Hi Pete
    Check out this link
    http://forums.ukworkshop.co.uk/viewt...65181&p=723423
    There appears to be a solution but you will have to enroll on the site to see the JPEG images.
    Regards
    Mike

Hello Mark

I've been a member on the UKWorkshop for a few years, a number of chaps have the same problem buying after market guides. There's one retired engineer who made a beautiful set of guides
    last year, may be the year before but sadly they take him too long so he's unable to make to order. I have had an email this morning with details of someone who might be able to sort me out
    so fingers crossed.

Thread Information