. .
    Hi
    Bit of a newbie here but Im using a v bit to engrave into mdf and I cant get a smooth finish on the surface. Instead I get a finish with the edges appearing shredded. Could anyone suggest a how to obtain smooth edges or point me to a thread explaining how to.
    Cheers

Good finish is mostly down to speeds and feeds and the stiffness of your machine. What you got and what speeds and feeds you using?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Most finishing strategies involve ball end cutters

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Good finish is mostly down to speeds and feeds and the stiffness of your machine. What you got and what speeds and feeds you using?
    Ive got a Basic 540 cnc. The feed is at 45inch/min and RPM of 15000rpm. Even when reducing feed I still get the same finish.

Is it possible still to get a smooth finish only when cutting 2D designs to a single depth throughout, with the V-bit. Ive seen outputs on youtube that have a smooth finish with the V-bit.

Hi,

MDF is usually quite nice to machine and forgives a lot in terms of feedrate and rpm.
    Is your tool sharp enough (cheap ones are often dull by design - good V-bits can be quite pricey)?

You may try to cut in 2 passes to improve results - just start the program twice:
    • The first time zero your Z-axis 0.1mm higher than required.
    • Second time zero your Z-axis correctly, use max rpm and moderate feedrates.

Christian
    2D / 3D CAM Software and CNC controller: http://www.estlcam.com

Also depends on the grade of MDF - some is like cold-rolled cardboard and will never give a decent finish.

Thanks. Il try and see if running the cut twice works. It could be the bit, I got it for under £5.

Thread Information