. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    2. Way oil.
    4. Stains. Cutting compound, do you really wanna get that deep?, wd40 works great for rust stains too.

.Me
    thanks lee. Was hoping for some kind of chemical, ive tried soaking in wd40 for 24 hours, scrubbing, if it means using cutting paste, I think il leave the stains there.

ordered a couple of servo's for x & y
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...037562887.html

intend to use a standard nema 23 4nm stepper for the quill (x)

The spindle, is intended to be driven by a "vari-drive" pulley. This is essentially two discs, that are wound apart (by spindle speed winder)

This picture shows the spindle pulley (with the top cover removed) here you can see the two discs

a hand-wheel mechanism essentially parts the two discs, effecting where abouts on the diameter of these discs the belt grips, which in-turn changes the drive speed of the spindle

problem is, I dont have the corresponding (sprung) pulley for the motor (or a motor for that matter at this point) I need something like this

the pulley itself is NOT cheap. new, as a set of parts about (£300). As I intend to drive a motor via vfd I may just scrap this mechanism? thoughts?

below this, there is a back-gear, that I can still utilise even if I remove the variable disc arrangement and replace with flat pulleys?

FYI, if anybody is interested, I note the seller has another one for sale.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATE-5BK-M...8AAOSw5VFWLoEr
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 28-10-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: bad link

On my KRV, I have used a VFD too. I still use the back gear on it which gives some serious torque gains.

The real question is if the motor you select will be able to give you the same amount of torque in the low frequency range as in the normal 60Hz range. If it can then go with a HTD type metric belt and pulley system. You can then keep the back gear too.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    1.) which I assume is some form of auto-oiler? any information however obvious you may know of this, would be grately appreciated.
    2.) what oil do I fill it with?
    3.) The clear hose coming out of the body of the machine, goes up to the quill, and the black line you can see seems to go to feed the network of lubrication lines plumbed into the machine (both these feed lines are not connected to the oiler, and are just loose. and I dont know where they would go)
    4.) It is marked 110v, so I guess Il have to use one of those yellow site equiptment block things to power it?
    1) Looks like a Bijur, however they normally have a manual primer.
    2) Slideway oil during normal use. A good quality 68 should be good, or 220 if you plan on doing lots of knee moving (68 isn't rated for vertical ways, but 220 will cause a bit dragging on other ways)
    3) I'd say there's a T-piece with another metering valve missing, unless the metering valve is mounted elsewhere i.e. on the quill.
    4) Yellow block, or just get a small 240-110V transformer if that's the lube is the only thing going to be running from 110V. You only need 4W, so you should find a suitable transformer for less than £10.

Given the age and lack of use, the metering valves are likely to be blocked. First up, I'd disconnect all the lines going to the metering valves and make sure they're clean. Then fill the lube unit with some ATF, and leave it running over night. You can then check to see if there's red oil on the ways. If not, then you can try cleaning the metering valves with some carburettor cleaner, but they'll most likely need replaced.
    Once you're happy oil is getting everywhere it should, drain the ATF and put in slideway oil.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks all for your replies so far.

Stuff has started to arrive .... woop woop

servos seem massive!

Always look forward to your builds Matt......like seeing nice shiney bits that have come in the post
    Neil...

Build log...here

Mine arrived yesterday has well Matt and these 1.8Kw puppy's do make nema23 steppers look small.!

Set them up last night and seem nice enough. So far I'm happy with them but that could all change when they hit the road so to speak.!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0855.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	16470

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday has well Matt and these 1.8Kw puppy's do make nema23 steppers look small.!

Set them up last night and seem nice enough. So far I'm happy with them but that could all change when they hit the road so to speak.!!

Name:	IMAG0855.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	16470
    What have you got planned for your servo's Jazz?

.Me
    .Me

What have you got planned for your servo's Jazz?

.Me
    Fitting to this.! . . . Replacing Brushed DC servos.

Name:	IMAG0538.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	16472
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-11-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Fitting to this.! . . . Replacing Brushed DC servos.

Name:	IMAG0538.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	16472
    Nice is it yours, looks like a big boy and a nice project to work on...

.Me
    .Me

Nice is it yours, looks like a big boy and a nice project to work on...

.Me
    It's mine for now but could be somebody else's when it's finished and fully Converted. I may put a Build thread up actually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information