. .

Thread: New machine

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-07-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    Hi All,
    This is my first proper post, just to let you know what i'm up to.
    Still in the design stage i'm planning to build a router 1800 x 940, a fair step up from my first one 900 x 500. I've had no background of CAD,CAM CNC or anything so related and it has been a huge learning curve.
    Anyway the new one will be made of 2 x 1 box main table frame with 3/4 angles mounted top and bottom on which i plan to use Vee roller guides fitted to the bottom of the gantry. This will be the X axis and will have a 20 x 20 ballscrew to drive it. The gantry will be made of 30 x30 box and the Y axis will again be Vee guide rollers and 16mm ballscrew.
    At this stage i'd love to show CAD drawings but it would take me longer to draw them than build the machine.
    As soon as i start the build i'll upload some pics.
    One quick question before i go,What size steppers should i go for? Are the Nema 23 @ 3Nm powerful enough?
    zim.:feedback:

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-07-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    Hi Kip,
    I realise it's a bit of an open ended question about the motor size,the new machine will be 1.8 x 940 and i guess i'll mainly be v carving signs in timber. I havn't even decided what router i'm going to use yet.
    The Vee wheels are going to be Bishop Wisecarvers, it seems as they are a bit dearer now though- £20 each.
    My thoughts were that using Vee rollers and ballscrew there would be far less friction than my previous leadscrew and Delrin nuts. I'm also planning to slow it down by using 20 x20 ballscrew therefore reducing the problem of whip.
    I've just got to reduce the size of my pics of the existing machine then i'll upload them.
    cheers zim.

Hopefully here's some pics.
    zim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture olympus cruise 110.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture olympus cruise 113.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	526  

Cheers Kip, I'm checking it out, then i must go to bed!

Thread Information