. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You have plenty of options when it comes to controllers but personaly I much prefer Ethernet than USB for it's reliabilty and most of the cheaper ones are USB.

Software like John pointed out is one thing to bare in mind has you may want to factor in the support base out there. This Depends on the type of person you are really, some need lots hand holding others just like to get on and figure it out them selfs. But the true test is when you have problems that are not user error or lack of knowledge. IMO nothing comes close to Mach3 user base in this regard.

Personly I'm not a Fan of planet software and found it a little basic for me but others like John have no problems which is all that matters in cutting terms. I also don't like being tied to one board or make of board.

Mach3 will do anything the others will do regrards Cameras and surfacing mapping etc because they are just special macros or scripts which are written then tied to the screen set. Thou I don't know of a surface mapping macro I'm sure there will be one if you ask around. If your handy with coding then get writing has it shouldn't be too hard.

There also Linux CNC which should seriously be considered and will work with the PP and I believe 64bit.? But don't hold me to that.!
    It matches and surpasses Mach3 in lots respects, esp with the PP side of things. It's the Geeky user base that becomes a problem and lack of quick support that often puts people off, thou I do believe it's getting better!. OH and not to mention Linux OS it's self which puts folks with little PC knowledge off.

To be honest think if on Budget and you know your way around PC's and dealing with OS's and software then I'd have a serious punt with Linux Cnc has it's free and very capable software.!

I run LinuxCNC and it's fine for most use. I haven't found too many limitations with it. I recently had to change the motherboard in my PC as the old one blew up (I suspect that letting the CPU heatsink fill with dust once too many times did for it!) and as many have found, cheap motherboards do not have parallel ports any more. I bought a cheap PP PCI adaptor from Novatech and that has been working fine with LCNC, in conjunction with a cheap BOB. However, my current router is not too demanding in terms of pulse rate. I'm using a low-end AMD CPU and the latest LCNC download. There's plenty of info available for doing things like changing the PP address so that LCNC can find it when you are not using a standard motherboard port; this is the kind of thing that Windows usually manages for you.

What are the limitations? Some of the free CAM software generates G2/G3 arc instructions, and LCNC is incredibly fussy about these. It wants the start/finish points to be correct to some large number of decimal places and bitches if not. I spent a lot of time in the early stages tweaking gcode by hand to fix this. However, since I switched to using Vectric VCarve for most of my CAM, I haven't seen this as an issue. Bigger problem is that LCNC really doesn't support twin leadscrew designs in that it can't handle homing/squaring properly. This has been an ongoing issue in the LCNC community for years. My new router will be twin ballscrew, so this is a problem. It is also very limited when it comes to external motion controllers (really, I think it just supports/is supported by the Mesa cards). There are apparently very good, but that's the only option. I'm going to be moving to Mach3/Mach4 (haven't yet decided) and CSMIO/IP-M motion controller, hence I shall also have to move to Windows. There are plenty of people who will tell you that the LCNC control screens are an old-fashioned heap of junk, but I use the standard screen setup that comes out of the box and it works.

My first router was a bit of an experiment, cheaply built, to see how I got on. I used LCNC to keep cost down, and never regretted it. I don't see why it shouldn't do a perfectly adequate job with the cheap Chinese routers and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in that situation.
    Last edited by Neale; 24-10-2015 at 05:00 PM.

I also run Linuxcnc and find it very good I have just used the pp for my mill and lathe but I have just bought a mesa card mainly for all the extra input/outputs including encoder for the lathe spindle speed etc. I also find the standard screen set OK there is a new one out though called Gmoccapy and it seems very good.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure on which software route to go down. I'd probably shy aware from Linux at the moment as I have no experience with it. As CNC is new itself for me, I'd rather begin with an OS I know well.

The Planet CNC seems tempting to me currently as it looks like it could be a bit more beginner friendly.. what did you find was too basic about it?
    The only thing is as mentioned, I'm not keen on not being to use other software with the board.. but maybe it's a price worth paying..

OK.. so if I go the planetCNC ethernet controller route.. what shall I do about the PC situation? Shall I build one using the Asus H61M-Pro I have coming or is the energy saving features going to make it completely unreliable? Or as I need a good PC there anyway, shall I just give it a go and if not then buy a cheap pentium 4 or something without the new features..? What would you do if you were me?

Quote Originally Posted by d4cnc View Post
    OK.. so if I go the planetCNC ethernet controller route.. what shall I do about the PC situation?
    I wanted a dedicated PC so I went for a Tiny Fox which is small enough to mount on the back of the monitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinyFox-02.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	16359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinyFox-01.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	444.7 KB 
ID:	16360  

Does planet cnc do ethernet? Havent seen it on his website.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

MK3 does USB and Ethernet and is shown on the website under hardware

OK.. so if I go the planetCNC ethernet controller route.. what shall I do about the PC situation?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3017765515...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The problem with PC and PP is that every so often, the cpu goes off and does its own thing for a few milliseconds or so. That's fatal if you are generating a real-time pulse stream. However, if you are using an external motion controller, the PC sends a few seconds' worth of instructions which are then buffered in the external board. It doesn't matter if the PC pauses for a short while as it can catch up later while the motion controller is taking data from its own buffer. Cheap PC or even laptop (notorious for random pauses) should be fine. Buy or build PC - it's up to you.
    Last edited by Neale; 25-10-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    The problem with PC and PP is that every so often, the cpu goes off and does its own thing for a few milliseconds or so. .
    Neale Linuxcnc is a real time system and I think the cpu will be fine for the pp pulses.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information