. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    If you have to use an alcohol then Isopropanol is cheaper, http://www.newshinyhardware.co.uk/Ch...nol/1000ml.nav and is not loaded with purple dye, bitrex and pyridine like meths. I would avoid a flammable liquid which is dangerous to inhale if possible.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    More to the point, why are we resurrecting a year old thread?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Holy Thread Resurrection Batman! :D

It's a fair point but if there is pertinent information to add which may help others searching later I think it's OK, your suggestion of Isopropyl Alcohol is a good one, I use it for many things as it's available at very reasonable cost for 5L

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaisleyPCdoctor View Post
    I don't know why you are trying so hard to find pure ethanol.
    Pure ethanol is subject to alcohol tax as it can be used to make alcoholic drinks.

To avoid this tax, the ethanol can be spiked with about 5% Methanol making it UNDRINKABLE. hence the term 'methylated spirit' or 'denatured ethanol'.

Methylated spirit smells almost identical to ethanol. Methylated spirit purchased in pharmacy or supermarket is further spiked with purple dye, bitrex and some horribly smelling crap that I forget the name of. Obviously to stop idiots drinking it.

You can easily buy methylated spirit without the stinky additives etc.

Small quantities vaporised with decent ventilation would be fine (healthwise), If you went crazy with it, you'd get high as a kite and or start a fire. I'd worry about electric motor in fume extraction equipment.

It may be possible to dilute the alcohol with water to decrease risks?
    Agreed, Im currently using ethanol used fireplaces. It has minimal smell but of course still very flammable. Mixing it with water might be an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It is the spirit of Christmas past

I stopped using mine own mixture or soluble oil. Now i use pure kerosene/ or paraffin you call it/, the one for the stoves they sell in 10 and 20l bottles. And right now is the time to buy, as in summer there is nowhere to buy it from. It's perfect for aluminum or whatever. And as my transparent container was a good quality one/ the water filter/ there is no problem with the plastic from the kerosene.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

For those using alcohol for cooling, does it also have any effect on aluminium sticking to cutters or is it purely for cooling?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I stopped using mine own mixture or soluble oil. Now i use pure kerosene/ or paraffin you call it/, the one for the stoves they sell in 10 and 20l bottles. And right now is the time to buy, as in summer there is nowhere to buy it from. It's perfect for aluminum or whatever. And as my transparent container was a good quality one/ the water filter/ there is no problem with the plastic from the kerosene.
    kerosene (28 Sec) is readily available all year long if you ring a fuel supplier I used to run my steam cleaning machine on it it's was cheaper than red.

I remember you could buy it in B&Q for £4 for 0.5l at the time or I could buy it from fuel supplier for 58p a litre a mile down the road lol.

was a few years ago now.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I personally wouldn't use kerosene/heating oil, solely due to the smell, however I suspect what Boyan is suggesting is the paraffin you can get over here for camping stoves, which doesn't have as strong a smell.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

But there is a reason it's called " fogless mist cooler" . If it makes a fog in the workshop and smells, its because the nozzle is not spraying drops and usually is overspraying. i said it many times, 0.6-0.7mm is the ideal nozzle size and can refrigerate a bit up to say 20mm . For 1inch and bigger cutters, 2 nozzles.

Normally i will put a lamp at the back and check if its not making fog before i leave the machine to cut.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information