. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've been using one of those Wickes vacuums for about 3 years now, as a hand-held dust extractor on the router and general shop clean-up machine (including aluminium swarf off the milling machine and all). Gets a fair bit of abuse, sometimes a few hours running continuously, and just gets on with it. The internal filter (I fitted the wet&dry one which is an extra) does get clogged with MDF dust fairly easily but it cleans reasonably well by holding it over the dustbin and tapping. I didn't really expect it to last as long as it has.

First of all I do not think that these pond pumps will have enough oomph to run a mister. They only produce a couple of psi. I will try it out later today, but I would not recommend them for anything but delivering a gentle stream of air for a long time.

That is the LIDL compressor, but you may find it soon in LIDL at that price and with a warranty. It has a useful accessory kit with it, which includes a blower gun, but I wouldn't run it continually (it has a pressure switch to cut it out when not in use).

Yes I squirt the wd40 from the can by hand.

I notice you are another bugger that can't sleep !

Cheers,

Rob

I have tested the mister with the pond pump and the airbrush compressor and neither have enough guts to pull the liquid up the feed tube.

Disappointing !

Ah a fellow night owl indeed. Always been that way.. so I've always worked nights pretty much..

So I'd need to step up the compressor you think? Those previously mentioned won't clear well enough?

How about something like this... Tyre inflator

Or are we fighting a losing battle by thinking tankless?

PS. I can get a George vac for £90 if willing to take it on a 2hour train ride home with me.. However with the good feedback on the Wickes vac, I may go that route now.. Can't work out if the George is worth the extra £50 & nightmare journey...
    Last edited by d4cnc; 28-10-2015 at 04:38 PM.

I can't advise you on that compressor. My current workshop compressor is from LIDL and ALDI have just done a better one, but £169 compared with LIDL's £90. These sort of compressors are noisy though. I wouldn't want you to spend your money on something not up to the job. Both LIDL and ALDI Customer Services are pretty good about finding a store that still has stock, though it was a while back. If you are not in a hurry they will be back in stock in a few months.

Your Lidl one is this one perhaps? My main issue I have with larger compressors is the space.. I'm trying to fit most things under the table I'm going to build for it..
    Here's a quick little mock up I did using this air compressor but still having trouble fitting everything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc table.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	16388
    Wickes doesn't have dimensions on their site.. so not sure on what size it is so have the original Henry in there still..

There is a work bench next to this with space underneath (up to 190mm height) which I'm planning to put the PC under.. and if there was a compressor quite flat then it could also go under there, but they don't appear to come in the form factor that could fit under..
    Last edited by d4cnc; 28-10-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I have tested the mister with the pond pump and the airbrush compressor and neither have enough guts to pull the liquid up the feed tube.

Disappointing !
    What about using the splitter manifold and plumbing a pipe into the oil/coolant container to create positive pressure to force the coolant through the pipe, that may work? if you could give it a try t will save me a few quid as that is what I was planning.
    Cheers, Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    What about using the splitter manifold and plumbing a pipe into the oil/coolant container to create positive pressure to force the coolant through the pipe, that may work? if you could give it a try t will save me a few quid as that is what I was planning.
    Cheers, Charlie
    I'll give it a try, but if I have to get some plumbing bits, I won't have time this week - don't hold your breath on this.

CharlieRam in Derby - who'd a thunk it
    Last edited by cropwell; 28-10-2015 at 07:27 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Cheers, there's no rush as I'm still welding my frame but if it works it could be of benefit to a lot of us. Good time to be a Ram y'know ;-)

QUOTE[I was just about to post if something like your second link would be more like what I'd need Draper 10923 but the reviews state, as you have, that they're extremely noisy.
    So a Henry is the way to go? Do you keep it on your cnc machine for hours at a time? The one you linked is a 580W whereas the noisy one linked is double that. Is that not an issue in reality?

EDIT: Ah there's also a Henry with 2 switchable speeds.. 1200W & 600W. Is that the one you use and recommend?
    ]

OK, managed to check the spec of my Henry and it is 580W non-switchable. But suction is not a problem. Be careful of just looking at wattage to determine how well it might work as this is just electrical input - I do know that the motor type is different to the cheap can type, and it certainly is much quieter.

I have run it for extended periods (at least an hour) following the cutter around, and didn't notice heat etc. but now that my dust shoe is finished and working I use a proper extractor. I then use the Henry to generally tidy up. Must post a video / pics on that when I have a moment.

I haven't used the 1200/600 version so can't comment but I'd be fine recommending the 580W version. When I was looking at all this ages ago there was some ruling coming in about maximum power allowed in future vacuum cleaner models (to save energy) so this could be something to do with the 580W version - but please check this before deciding.
    Last edited by routercnc; 28-10-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information