. .
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I want to reverse engineer some small parts.

Has any one had results with Probe-it (Crafty CNC) that they are satisfied with ?.

( Pitty you cant edit titles of these threads ! )
    Last edited by dudz; 30-10-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I use it regularly, and does the job I need pretty well, but it's only as good as the probe and machine.

I built a machine solely for probing - http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...c,27732.0.html
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    I want to reverse engineer some small parts.

Has any one had results with Probe-it (Crafty CNC) that they are satisfied with ?.

( Pitty you cant edit titles of these threads ! )
    Hi dudz,

You should be able to edit the title as well as the post, I'm mobile with the kids at the mo (trick or treat) so will look into this for you when I get back later, for now I've edited the title to what I think you wanted it to say originally.

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ok. I tried a bit of testing via the un licensed version. Seemed to work fine. So Purchased a license this afternoon.
    I have calibrated the tip in this program. Now I'm on the surface x,z probing page. I have filed out the inputs on this page to more or less what the example shows to get started. The manual is very informative, but I'm a bit thick. I can see a big learning curve coming on.
    First thing that springs to mind is...how do I tell the software how large the material is before executing -x to +x and -y to +y if my zero is in the center of the material ? is this done in a different page on the menu ? or is this not required ?
    Last edited by dudz; 01-11-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Hi dudz,

You should be able to edit the title as well as the post, I'm mobile with the kids at the mo (trick or treat) so will look into this for you when I get back later, for now I've edited the title to what I think you wanted it to say originally.

.Me

Thanks Lee

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Thanks Lee
    No problem :)

I've had a look into this, members do have the right permissions available to edit a Thread Title, however there is a time limit on this of 24 hours.

Looking at your thread and post times I can see you edited the post well within this time frame, so I'm guessing that you chose the "quick edit" option when you did the edit.

For next time, if you use the "Go Advanced" button, visible to you after clicking the "quick edit" link for a post, you should see the option to edit the thread title directly above the "message body" part of the page, both are located in the "Your Message" section.

Please see screen shots attached.

.Me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	16395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image5.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	16396  
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 01-11-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    .Me

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What exactly are you trying to probe?
    A full surface, or a perimeter?

Probe-it's strength is perimeter probing, be that probing the complete perimeter, or finding an edge/centre.
    The surface probing is more suited to things like PCB machining, where you probe the material surface to apply a transformation to the g-code so you get constant depth machining.

If you're wanting to do surface probing, you'd be better of looking at Art's Digitise Wizard plugin that uses a bed of nails approach to probe the entire surface. It's not the fastest method though.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What exactly are you trying to probe?
    A full surface, or a perimeter?

Probe-it's strength is perimeter probing, be that probing the complete perimeter, or finding an edge/centre.
    The surface probing is more suited to things like PCB machining, where you probe the material surface to apply a transformation to the g-code so you get constant depth machining.

If you're wanting to do surface probing, you'd be better of looking at Art's Digitise Wizard plugin that uses a bed of nails approach to probe the entire surface. It's not the fastest method though.

I am trying to probe perimeters and surfaces, although I am testing the software by probing a surface. I can probe the surface once successfully, but before it returns to probe the surface again, I get errors like " Move, Give up sync" and then if I continue I get "Error file already open" . So I clear it, and then get "The current point is less than 0.254mm or 0.01" from the programmed point".

I understand this has something to do with the motion controller. But I dont know how to get around this.

Have you tried emailing Eric?

He gave me a good few pointers to get going. I did have one issue when using certain firmware in my KFlop, but the later versions all seem fine. I think the problem related to Mach changing how certain things worked internally, which meant probing didn't quite work as intended if the motion controller tried using the old method.

Thread Information