. .
    I'm planning the cooling system for my 6040 CNC (800W water cooled spindle) and am not 100% sure on what I need.

When I look at other CNC builds, they all seem to have huge reservoir/tanks. Far larger than I am able to find on any PC parts place.

I understand that if you don't want to put a radiator and fans then of course you will need a larger amount of water. However, if I use a single radiator and single fan, is there a rule of thumb about how much liquid coolant I will need then?

Also, any tips for a place that sells larger tanks? Are people making their own out of acrylic and glue? Is that a viable option?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by d4cnc View Post
    I'm planning the cooling system for my 6040 CNC (800W water cooled spindle) and am not 100% sure on what I need.

When I look at other CNC builds, they all seem to have huge reservoir/tanks. Far larger than I am able to find on any PC parts place.

I understand that if you don't want to put a radiator and fans then of course you will need a larger amount of water. However, if I use a single radiator and single fan, is there a rule of thumb about how much liquid coolant I will need then?

Also, any tips for a place that sells larger tanks? Are people making their own out of acrylic and glue? Is that a viable option?
    If you are using a small radiator like I do then 1 ltr of water will be enough. I ran mine for ages without a radiator and just 5 ltrs of water with no problems you will need a very small pump as well. As for the tank a Tupperware container will do.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I've just got a small aquarium pump (200 litres an hour) and a 5 litre bucket, had my machine running for 4 hours yesterday afternoon and the water was only just tepid. I am planning on putting a PC rad and fan on the y axis but that's a long way off yet I think!
    Neil...

Build log...here

You don't need much of a pump as, once the pipework is filled, you are just pushing liquid around a balanced system, assuming that the return pipe goes down to the tank that you're drawing from. I use a little water pump as sold for caravans; I have a switch that lets me use the full 12V for initial filling and purging of air, then I can go to 5V. Like others, I just use a bucket.

Thanks for the tips. Great I'll use a simple tupperware box then..

I think I'll buy a cheap 120mm aluminium chinese no name radiator for it then.

Am I right to assume that the cooling system inside the spindle will be aluminium? Hence it's better to keep the rad and connections aluminium too for anti corrosion?

Am I right to assume that the cooling system inside the spindle will be aluminium? Hence it's better to keep the rad and connections aluminium too for anti corrosion?
    Yes
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

... with regards to fittings... should I be looking for aluminium fittings too? As they appear to be hiding from me at present.. what does everyone else do?

Do you just go with nickel plated / chrome plated brass fittings and make sure your coolant has some anti corrosion additives?
    Or plastic ones perhaps?

I presume you can just use glycol based car antifreeze as a corrosion inhibitor for aluminium systems. I hope so as I have got the best part of 5L left over from the days when you changed coolant every year.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    ... with regards to fittings... should I be looking for aluminium fittings too? As they appear to be hiding from me at present.. what does everyone else do?

Do you just go with nickel plated / chrome plated brass fittings and make sure your coolant has some anti corrosion additives?
    Or plastic ones perhaps?
    You can use either brass. chrome or plastic and has been said a little antifreeze if it has a chance of freezing
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I was given a 120mm radiator from a computer cooler which had a seized pump. The liquid inside the sealed system seemed to be pure ethylene glycol. Glycol has a better heat transfer than water (they used to use it for cooling Spitfire engines) and as I have 4L of undiluted antifreeze, I was thinking of using that, if it isn't too viscous for the pump to handle. The radiator has rubber hoses fitted, and I have plenty of 8mm pipe and pneumatic push-in fittings. It'll be a long time before I get to fitting the cooling system to my machine, which is at the plans done and steel bought stage. Now I just need my wife to stop finding me jobs to do, so I can get on with the build in peace.

Cheers,

Rob

Thread Information